- Withdraw case filed against students: BNP
- Muggers loot mobile phone shop in Bogra
- AL factional clash injures 20 in Bianibazar
- Quarterfinals of Inter-University Football on Sunday
- Warrant issued against sub-inspector for dowry torture
- Woman hacked dead by ‘drug addict’ husband in N’ganj
- Eden College students’ protest in solidarity with DU affiliates
- Enamur’s ‘confession’ proves govt behind extrajudicial killings: BNP
- UP chairman killed in Sirajganj road crash
- Nahid for skilled manpower to explore, protect marine resources
‘40 million unemployed’: Where does Raushon Ershad get her numbers?
Opposition Leader in Parliament Raushon Ershad on Thursday asked the government to create more employment opportunities in the country, as she said more than “four crore” (40 million) capable individuals remain unemployed in the country.
Raushon offered no source or reference for the figure, that would be quite the feat of calculation. The number of unemployed and the unemployment rate have always been difficult to arrive at in Bangladesh and its neighbouring countries.
The leader of the opposition in parliament had seemingly done a lot of reading before today’s address, but she was in no mood to give away any sources.
“The young generation is going down a wrong path due to lack of jobs in the country. Some 28-30 lakh (2.8-3 million) youths enter the job market every year,” she said.