- Remain alert about behaviour, attitude, PM tells party men
- S Korea to provide $1.5 mn for Rohingyas in Bangladesh
- Rohingya crisis: BNP says PM failed to convince global leaders
- IBBL gets award for highest remittance collection
- 6 killed in Munshiganj textile mill fire
- Mexicans dig in rubble seeking survivors as quake kills 248
- Resolve Rohingya crisis ‘before it’s too late’, PM to OIC
- BNP accuses AL men of attacking puja mandaps
- Tonu killers still remain unidentified
- 2 friends electrocuted in Magura
Strong opposition must in democratic country: Sirisena tells Raushan
Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena has said there should be a strong Opposition in a democratic country and through which the path of the government could be corrected.
In a democratic country, opposition is also important," the Sri Lankan President was quoted as saying when Bangladesh Opposition Leader in Parliament Raushan Ershad met him at a city hotel.
The Sri Lankan President, who has made revolutionary transformation in Sri Lanka, appreciated the fact that women are holding several high positions in Bangladesh - Prime Minister, Speaker in Parliament and Opposition Leader.
During the meeting held on Thursday, he also said Sri Lanka too has made arrangements to increase female representation in parliament, according to a message UNB obtained from Sri Lankan President's office.
President Sirisena, an experienced leader in the region, pointed out the possibility of working together in finding solutions to common issues for the both countries.