- Dhaka urges UNSC to solve Rohingya, Palestine crises
- Explain newborn’s death on Dhaka city road: HC
- Prof Golam Rabbani made DU new proctor
- 50 pc Rohingyas, stranded in no-man’s land, entered BD
- Tanbir’s 61* spurs Bangladesh A 1-0 lead against Ireland A
- Khaleda gets bail in two graft cases
- No head teachers at 249 govt pry schools in Shariatpur
- ‘Breed like rabbits’ or victims of statelessness? The Rohingya women who reject
- AL wants law enforcers to maintain law & order during polls
- Tumpa murder: Husband held from Jessore
Banaripara BCL president held over raping housewife
Detectives arrested president of Banaripara Upazila Chhatra League from Kalibari road of the city on Sunday afternoon over raping a housewife.
The arrestee was identified as Sumon Hossain Mollah.
Victim’s husband, hailing from Chittagong, a resident of Soliyabakpur area, also a CNG-run auto-rickshaw driver, filed a case accusing Sumon and his associate Mamun and two other unnamed people.
Md Ruhul Amin, sub-inspector of Detective Branch (DB) of police, said that on secret information, a team of DB police conducted a drive in the area and arrested the BCL leader.
Sumon demanded Tk one lakh as extortion to the victim’s husband when he along with his wife came to Banaripara from Chittagong to stay at his relative’s house.
As the victim’s husband did not give the money, the BCL leader picked his wife, took her to a room of a club at Betal village and raped her while three associates assisted Sumon.
Sazzad Hossain, officer-in-charge of Banaripara Police Station, said that the victim has been sent to Barisal-Sher-e-Bangla Medical College Hospital for medical test.