- PM to bid adieu 23 plane crash victims at Army Stadium
- Khaleda’s bail stayed till May 8 in graft case
- 1st janaza of 23 plane crash victims held in Nepal
- BNP to resist bid to hold lopsided polls, says Rizvi
- BNP stages demo protesting Milon’s death in custody
- DU teacher relieved of academic duties for assaulting fellow
- Govt mulling pvt sector`s participation in power transmission, distribution
- Rajshahi fresher fails to surface after falling into Padma
- Burglars loot ‘Tk 72 lakh’ from Unilever distributor’s office
- Youth gets life in prison for raping visually-impaired girl
Banaripara BCL president held over raping housewife
Detectives arrested president of Banaripara Upazila Chhatra League from Kalibari road of the city on Sunday afternoon over raping a housewife.
The arrestee was identified as Sumon Hossain Mollah.
Victim’s husband, hailing from Chittagong, a resident of Soliyabakpur area, also a CNG-run auto-rickshaw driver, filed a case accusing Sumon and his associate Mamun and two other unnamed people.
Md Ruhul Amin, sub-inspector of Detective Branch (DB) of police, said that on secret information, a team of DB police conducted a drive in the area and arrested the BCL leader.
Sumon demanded Tk one lakh as extortion to the victim’s husband when he along with his wife came to Banaripara from Chittagong to stay at his relative’s house.
As the victim’s husband did not give the money, the BCL leader picked his wife, took her to a room of a club at Betal village and raped her while three associates assisted Sumon.
Sazzad Hossain, officer-in-charge of Banaripara Police Station, said that the victim has been sent to Barisal-Sher-e-Bangla Medical College Hospital for medical test.