- Militants’ strength on the wane; no threat of attack: DMP chief
- Stand beside flood-hit people, Khaleda asks BNP followers
- Dhaka, Aug 16 (UNB) – The Appellate Division of the Supreme Court (SC) on Wednesday fixed October 10 for hearing the government’s plea filed against the High Court (HC) order that declared the mobile court, conducted by the executive magistrates, illegal and contradictory to the Constitution. A six-member SC bench, headed by Chief Justice Surendra Kumar Sinha, fixed the date in the morning. Attorney general Mahbubey Alam said there is no bar to carry on mobile court till October 10. Earlier on May 11, the High Court declared illegal of the operation of mobile court by the executive magistrate. On May 14, the Chamber Judge stayed the HC order in response to an appeal filed by the government till May 18. On May 21, the SC adjourned the verdict of the High Court till July 2. The SC, on July 4, extended its earlier order for two weeks staying the High Court verdict.
- BNP accuses AL of making fun of flood victims
- New areas flooded in Sirajganj as Jamuna water keeps on rise
- More than 300 dead, 600 missing in Sierra Leone mudslides
- Truck kills two pedestrians in Mymensingh
- Iranian president threatens to revitalize nuclear program
- No food crisis in country, says Muhith
- Rice import duty to be cut down to 2pc
Taliban claim deadly suicide attack in Kabul that kills 24
A suicide bomber rammed his car packed with explosives into a bus carrying government employees in the Afghan capital early on Monday, killing 24 people and wounding 42 others, Kabul's police chief spokesman said. The Taliban claimed responsibility for the assault.
The attack took place in a western Kabul neighborhood where several prominent politicians reside and at rush hour, as residents were heading to work and students were on their way to a nearby private high school, said Basir Mujahed, the spokesman.
"The bomber attacked at one of the busiest times of the day," the spokesman said. "There were traffic jams with people going to work and to the university and schools. Many of the shops had just opened."
The bus was completely destroyed, along with three other cars and several shops in the area, he said, adding children were among the wounded.
In a statement the Interior Ministry called the attack "a criminal act against humanity."
The police spokesman said the minibus was carrying employees of the mines and petroleum ministry.
The Taliban, in a statement to themedia, said they were behind the bombing and that the attack was carried out by an insurgent only identified as Ahmad.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid, said the target of the bombing was the intelligence services and their employees. He claimed the bus was filled with employees of the intelligence services and that Taliban insurgents spent the last two months shadowing the intelligence services employees before carrying out the attack.
Afghan President Ashraf Ghani condemned the bombing.
"Once again, these terrorist are attacking civilians and targeting government staff," Ghani said in a statement.
Monday's attack was the second against employees of the mines and petroleum ministry. Last year, a bus carrying the ministry's employees was also targeted in an attack that killed several people.
The western Kabul neighborhood where the attack occurred is home to many prominent political leaders, such as Hazara leader Mohammad Mohaqiq.
Several attacks have occurred in the neighborhood, including the suicide attack last month that killed prominent Shiite Muslim cleric Ramazan Hussainzada, who was also a senior leader of the ethnic Hazara community.
Eyewitnesses to Monday's attack said shattered glass from nearby buildings was scattered all over the street.
"The sound was very strong, the ground shook," said Mohammed Nader, who owns a convenience store in the neighborhood.