- DU ‘Gha’ unit entry test results in afternoon
- Full HC verdict against Oishee published
- Oct 1-13 remittance earnings $566.57mn
- Hasina to Guterres: ‘Put more pressure on Myanmar’
- Country needs more CAs as economy growing fast: ICAB chief
- Only 10 parties seek army deployment with magistracy power
- Don’t pick persons linked to politics as polls observer: CEC
- Sushma Swaraj in city
- Relentless rains cripple life in city, elsewhere
- Section 144 imposed in Thakurgaon
Opposing EC in public, BNP getting ready to join its dialogue
Though it has been opposing the KM Nurul Huda-led Election Commission (EC) since its formation, BNP is going to join its dialogue to place the party’s set of proposals, including deployment of army with magistracy power at least one week before the polls.
It also seeks a level-playing field and restoration of the pre-2008 delimitation of 300 parliamentary seats.
Party senior leaders said they have almost completed their all-out preparations, including making the written proposals for ensuring fair polls, to join the EC dialogue.
They said once the party receives the invitation letter from the EC for the talks, a BNP delegation is likely to meet the Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) with a request to fix their meeting schedule on a convenient day in September so that their Chairperson can return home from the UK by the time.
BNP standing committee members will hold a meeting before joining the talks to finalise the party’s proposals for the talks and other issues. BNP secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir is supposed to lead the party delegation during the talks with the EC.