- Militants’ strength on the wane; no threat of attack: DMP chief
- Stand beside flood-hit people, Khaleda asks BNP followers
- Dhaka, Aug 16 (UNB) – The Appellate Division of the Supreme Court (SC) on Wednesday fixed October 10 for hearing the government’s plea filed against the High Court (HC) order that declared the mobile court, conducted by the executive magistrates, illegal and contradictory to the Constitution. A six-member SC bench, headed by Chief Justice Surendra Kumar Sinha, fixed the date in the morning. Attorney general Mahbubey Alam said there is no bar to carry on mobile court till October 10. Earlier on May 11, the High Court declared illegal of the operation of mobile court by the executive magistrate. On May 14, the Chamber Judge stayed the HC order in response to an appeal filed by the government till May 18. On May 21, the SC adjourned the verdict of the High Court till July 2. The SC, on July 4, extended its earlier order for two weeks staying the High Court verdict.
- BNP accuses AL of making fun of flood victims
- New areas flooded in Sirajganj as Jamuna water keeps on rise
- More than 300 dead, 600 missing in Sierra Leone mudslides
- Truck kills two pedestrians in Mymensingh
- Iranian president threatens to revitalize nuclear program
- No food crisis in country, says Muhith
- Rice import duty to be cut down to 2pc
Abe, Trump agree to action against North Korea
South Korea Defense Ministry via AP)
Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe says he and President Donald Trump have spoken by phone and agreed to take further action against North Korea following its latest missile launch.
Abe told reporters after the call Monday morning Asia time that Trump pledged to "take all necessary measures to protect" Japan and that Abe praised his commitment to do so.
Abe said Japan would pursue concrete steps to bolster defense system and capabilities under the firm solidarity with the U.S. and do utmost to protect the safety of the Japanese people.
Analysis of the launch late Friday concluded most of the U.S. is now in range of North Korean weaponry.
1 p.m. Sunday
The United States has flown two supersonic bombers over the Korean Peninsula in a show of force against North Korea following its latest intercontinental ballistic missile test. The U.S. also said it conducted a successful test of a missile defense system located in Alaska.
The U.S. Pacific Air Forces said in a statement the B-1 bombers were escorted by South Korean fighter jets as they performed a low-pass on Sunday over an air base near the South Korean capital of Seoul before returning to Andersen Air Force Base in Guam.
It said the mission was a response to North Korea's two ICBM tests this month. Analysts say data from the test conducted Friday night showed a broader part of the mainland United States, including Los Angeles and Chicago, is now in range of Pyongyang's weapons.