- Charges pressed against 228 over Nasirnagar attack
- Khaleda sits with BNP policymakers
- Shakib made Tigers’ Test captain
- Most new taxpayers aged below 40, says Muhith
- SI without ticket gets violent
- Two killed in Sirajganj road accident
- Missing Chandpur businessman turns up dead
- ICT exports: Palak eyes 6-fold increase by ‘21
- Contempt of court rule against EC
- Security guard burnt alive in N’ganj market fire
SC stays DU VC panel activities, orders disposal of HC rule
The Appellate Division of the Supreme Court on Thursday stayed the activities of the newly-announced three-member Vice Chancellor panel of Dhaka University for appointing a new VC.
The three-member SC bench, headed by Chief Justice SK Sinha also asked the High court to dispose of the rule which was issued seeking explanation as to why the calling of the senate meeting should not be declared illegal and unlawful within four weeks.
Barrister Rokanuddin Mahmud moved for the petitioner while Advocate ASM Mezbah uddin argued for Dhaka University.
Following a writ petition filed by 15 registered graduates, the High Court on July 24 issued a rule asking the authorities concerned to explain as to why the calling of the senate meeting should not be declared illegal and unlawful.
The education secretary, DU VC, pro-VCs and registrar had been asked to reply to the rule within four weeks. At the same time, the court had ordered the constitution of the DU senate as per section 20 (1) of the Dhaka University Order 1973.