- EC neither to bow down nor go to anyone: CEC
- PM to visit flood-ravaged Kurigram, Dinajpur Sunday
- EC’s dialogue with electronic media begins
- Three departments’ names changed at IU
- 6 get life for murder in Khulna
- Saudi Arabia to allow Qatari pilgrims at hajj despite rift
- 2 girls return after languishing in Indian jail
- IBBL and Xpress Money inaugurate Special Promotional Program
- 100 Faridpur villages flooded as Padma flowing over danger mark
- 2 sea robbers held after gunfight in Sundarbans
SC stays DU VC panel activities, orders disposal of HC rule
The Appellate Division of the Supreme Court on Thursday stayed the activities of the newly-announced three-member Vice Chancellor panel of Dhaka University for appointing a new VC.
The three-member SC bench, headed by Chief Justice SK Sinha also asked the High court to dispose of the rule which was issued seeking explanation as to why the calling of the senate meeting should not be declared illegal and unlawful within four weeks.
Barrister Rokanuddin Mahmud moved for the petitioner while Advocate ASM Mezbah uddin argued for Dhaka University.
Following a writ petition filed by 15 registered graduates, the High Court on July 24 issued a rule asking the authorities concerned to explain as to why the calling of the senate meeting should not be declared illegal and unlawful.
The education secretary, DU VC, pro-VCs and registrar had been asked to reply to the rule within four weeks. At the same time, the court had ordered the constitution of the DU senate as per section 20 (1) of the Dhaka University Order 1973.