- Militants’ strength on the wane; no threat of attack: DMP chief
- Stand beside flood-hit people, Khaleda asks BNP followers
- Dhaka, Aug 16 (UNB) – The Appellate Division of the Supreme Court (SC) on Wednesday fixed October 10 for hearing the government’s plea filed against the High Court (HC) order that declared the mobile court, conducted by the executive magistrates, illegal and contradictory to the Constitution. A six-member SC bench, headed by Chief Justice Surendra Kumar Sinha, fixed the date in the morning. Attorney general Mahbubey Alam said there is no bar to carry on mobile court till October 10. Earlier on May 11, the High Court declared illegal of the operation of mobile court by the executive magistrate. On May 14, the Chamber Judge stayed the HC order in response to an appeal filed by the government till May 18. On May 21, the SC adjourned the verdict of the High Court till July 2. The SC, on July 4, extended its earlier order for two weeks staying the High Court verdict.
- BNP accuses AL of making fun of flood victims
- New areas flooded in Sirajganj as Jamuna water keeps on rise
- More than 300 dead, 600 missing in Sierra Leone mudslides
- Truck kills two pedestrians in Mymensingh
- Iranian president threatens to revitalize nuclear program
- No food crisis in country, says Muhith
- Rice import duty to be cut down to 2pc
Afghan conflict: Dozens killed in 'brutal' Sar-e Pul attack
At least 50 civilians have been killed by militants in northern Afghanistan, officials say.
They report that a checkpoint manned by local police was attacked in the Mirzawalang area of Sar-e Pul province, reports the BBC.
The assailants then entered the village and shot dead mainly Shia Muslim civilians including women and children, a spokesman for the provincial governor said.
"They were killed in a brutal, inhumane way," he added.
He reported that seven members of the Afghan security forces has also been killed, as well as a number of insurgents.
A combination of Taliban and Islamic State (IS) group fighters - including foreigners - were involved, he said. Both are Sunni Muslim militant groups.
The Taliban denied killing civilians, saying that its fighters had killed 28 members of a government-supported militia in the area.
Afghan President Ashraf Ghani condemned the attack.
"Criminal terrorists have once again killed civilians, women and children," he said in a statement.
"This barbaric act of them is deemed a direct violation of human rights and a war crime."
Fighting has intensified across Afghanistan in recent months. More than 1,662 civilians were killed in the half of the year, according to UN figures.
Can Afghan military turn tide in Taliban fight?
US President Donald Trump is considering whether to increase the number of US troops aiding the military and police in the country.