- Graduation from LDC: Govt to celebrate on March 22
- BD hailed for pioneering Int'l Mother Language Day
- President goes to Singapore for treatment
- Bangladesh makes progress in graft index
- Cop suspended in C’nawabganj for attempt to snatch Tk 3 lakh
- 2 cops among 4 held for looting Satkhira trader’s money
- Set more anti-graft instances to improve score: TIB
- Always stay ready to face external, internal threats: PM to Army
- People defy border barriers for mother tongue
- Friends of Pakistan alternatives to AL: Quader to India
Reinstate Sociology teacher Shahadat: HC to DU
The High Court on Tuesday asked the authorities concerned of Dhaka University (DU) to reinstate its Sociology department Professor Shahadat Hossain, who was suspended on charge of sexual harassment.
An HC bench of Justice Tariq ul Hakim and Justice M Faruk passed the order after declaring the DU order suspending Prof. Shahadat illegal.
Advocate Anik R Haq and Tahsina Tasnim stood for the teacher while Advocate AFM Mejbah Uddin represented the DU.
With the order, there is no legal bar for Prof. Shahadat to continue his job.
Earlier, on March 6, the authorities concerned of DU suspended Prof. Shahadat Hossain following an allegation of sexual harassment.
On March 9, Prof. Shahadat Hossain filed a writ petition challenging the suspension order.
According to the writ petition, the DU authorities suspended the teacher without issuing any show cause notice to him which is contradictory to the law.