- EC neither to bow down nor go to anyone: CEC
- PM to visit flood-ravaged Kurigram, Dinajpur Sunday
- EC’s dialogue with electronic media begins
- Three departments’ names changed at IU
- 6 get life for murder in Khulna
- Saudi Arabia to allow Qatari pilgrims at hajj despite rift
- 2 girls return after languishing in Indian jail
- IBBL and Xpress Money inaugurate Special Promotional Program
- 100 Faridpur villages flooded as Padma flowing over danger mark
- 2 sea robbers held after gunfight in Sundarbans
Reinstate Sociology teacher Shahadat: HC to DU
The High Court on Tuesday asked the authorities concerned of Dhaka University (DU) to reinstate its Sociology department Professor Shahadat Hossain, who was suspended on charge of sexual harassment.
An HC bench of Justice Tariq ul Hakim and Justice M Faruk passed the order after declaring the DU order suspending Prof. Shahadat illegal.
Advocate Anik R Haq and Tahsina Tasnim stood for the teacher while Advocate AFM Mejbah Uddin represented the DU.
With the order, there is no legal bar for Prof. Shahadat to continue his job.
Earlier, on March 6, the authorities concerned of DU suspended Prof. Shahadat Hossain following an allegation of sexual harassment.
On March 9, Prof. Shahadat Hossain filed a writ petition challenging the suspension order.
According to the writ petition, the DU authorities suspended the teacher without issuing any show cause notice to him which is contradictory to the law.