- Militants’ strength on the wane; no threat of attack: DMP chief
- Stand beside flood-hit people, Khaleda asks BNP followers
- Dhaka, Aug 16 (UNB) – The Appellate Division of the Supreme Court (SC) on Wednesday fixed October 10 for hearing the government’s plea filed against the High Court (HC) order that declared the mobile court, conducted by the executive magistrates, illegal and contradictory to the Constitution. A six-member SC bench, headed by Chief Justice Surendra Kumar Sinha, fixed the date in the morning. Attorney general Mahbubey Alam said there is no bar to carry on mobile court till October 10. Earlier on May 11, the High Court declared illegal of the operation of mobile court by the executive magistrate. On May 14, the Chamber Judge stayed the HC order in response to an appeal filed by the government till May 18. On May 21, the SC adjourned the verdict of the High Court till July 2. The SC, on July 4, extended its earlier order for two weeks staying the High Court verdict.
- BNP accuses AL of making fun of flood victims
- New areas flooded in Sirajganj as Jamuna water keeps on rise
- More than 300 dead, 600 missing in Sierra Leone mudslides
- Truck kills two pedestrians in Mymensingh
- Iranian president threatens to revitalize nuclear program
- No food crisis in country, says Muhith
- Rice import duty to be cut down to 2pc
Bogra rape victim taken to Rajshahi safe home
The female student who was allegedly raped by Sramik League leader Tufan Sarkar was taken to a safe home and her mother to a support centre in Rajshahi on Monday night.
Senior jail superintendent of Bogra Mokarram Hossain said the girl and her mother were taken to Rajshai under police security around 9 pm.
After their medical treatment, the Women and Children Repression Prevention Tribunal on Monday ordered the authorities concerned to send them to safe home for their security.
On July 17, Sramik League leader Tufan took the girl to his house at Badurtala in the district town promising to arrange her admission to a local college, and raped her there.
When Tufan's wife Asha and her elder sister Bogra municipality female councillor Marzia Hasan Rumki came to know of the incident, they along with some associates picked the girl up and her mother from their house.
They allegedly beat the girl and her mother with sticks and shaved their heads.