- Rangpur Riders new BPL champions dethroning Dhaka Dynamites
- Moudud finds judges disciplinary rules ‘unconstitional’
- IUTA election Wednesday
- 2 cousins hacked dead in Gazipur
- SWBEC to benefit BD, neighbours, says Muhith
- MPs call for rounding off Doha Round
- 6 more cases filed against Mahmudur Rahman
- NYC commuters returning to subway amid heightened security
- Akayed Ullah ‘born and brought up in Dhaka’
- Bank account now with only Tk 2; Daak Taka launched
Ambassador Shahidul likely to be next Bimstec Secy Gen
|M Shahidul Islam, Bangladesh Ambassador to France|
The government has nominated M Shahidul Islam, now serving as Bangladesh Ambassador to France, as the next Secretary General of Bimstec.
The government has already shared the proposed name with Bimstec member states through Bimstec Secretariat.
His appointment is likely to be confirmed at the fifteenth Bimstec Ministerial meeting to be held in Kathmandu, Nepal, a diplomatic source told UNB.
The ministerial meeting will be preceded by the eighteenth session of the Bimstec Senior Officials’ Meeting (SOM) on Thursday.
Shahidul Islam's appointment will be confirmed either on Thursday or Friday, another official told UNB.
The meeting is likely to finalise date for the next Bimstec Summit, too.
In 2012, Ambassador Sumith Nakandala was nominated as the first Secretary General of Bimstec and he assumed the charge of the Secretary General on August 10, 2014. His tenure ended on August 9.
Bay of Bengal Initiatives for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (Bimstec) is the sub-regional grouping comprising seven countries of South Asia and South East Asia.
Nepal is the current Chair of the Bimstec while its Secretariat is located in Dhaka.
Meanwhile, there will be changes in the post of Mission Chiefs in Bangladesh Missions to Myanmar, France, Australia and Mauritius, Foreign Ministry sources said.