- PM says Rohingya problem could be solved with her 5-point proposal
- New satellite image shows mass destruction in Rakhine
- 2 suspected robbers held in Moulvibazar
- 5 of a Bangladeshi family killed in Kuwait fire
- Indian citizen held with 18 gold bars
- Fake doctor, assistant held in Chandpur
- Foreign Minister to visit Myanmar Nov 19
- US, Japan agree to maximize diplomatic pressure on N. Korea
- Maintain objectivity in journalism: President
- Cabinet clears Surcharge Management Policy to control tobacco
BD now on global tourism map: Minister v
Civil Aviation and Tourism Minister Rashed Khan Menon on Thursday said Bangladesh is now on the global tourism map with its growing presence though it could not successfully attract the international tourists in a significant way in the past.
“If we can invest properly, the tourism industry can emerge as a big source of foreign currency earnings contributing to the national economy in a greater way,” he said.
Menon came up with the remarks while inaugurating the seventh Bangladesh International Tourism Fair (BITF) 2017 organised by the Bangladesh Foundation for Tourism Development in the city.
He said the private sector can play a greater role for further development of the country’s tourism industry.
“The government can facilitate but we have to encourage the private sector to invest in the tourism industry and help boost the industry. There’s no chance of incurring losses though investment in this sector,” said the Tourism Minister.