- 6 killed in Munshiganj textile mill fire
- Mexicans dig in rubble seeking survivors as quake kills 248
- Resolve Rohingya crisis ‘before it’s too late’, PM to OIC
- BNP accuses AL men of attacking puja mandaps
- Tonu killers still remain unidentified
- 2 friends electrocuted in Magura
- Moosa to be blocked from leaving country
- Ex-UP member hacked dead in Pabna
- Addressing climate change means ensuring human rights: PM
- 50 hospitalised due to ‘food poisoning’ in Thakurgaon
AL infighting blows out of control in Shariatpur; 1 dead, 56 injured
A Jubo League leader was killed and at least 56 others were injured in a factional clash between two groups of local Awami League leaders and activists over establishing supremacy at Malotkandi village in Zajira upazila on Friday evening.
The deceased was identified as Mikel Fakir, 30, a vice-president of Rajnagar Union unit Jubo League and son of Amin Fakir of the village.
Quoting locals, two groups of local Awami League -- one led by Rajnagar union parishad chairman Gazi Mohammmad Jakir and the other headed by the president of Rajnagar UP unit of the ruling party Dadon Malot -- over establishing dominance at the village.
At a sequel to the dispute, supporters of the two groups locked into an altercation around 7 pm, leading to a clash.
Several chases and counter chases took place during the melee when followers of the two groups hurled more than 100 hand-made bombs to each other and exchanged around 50 bullets, leaving at least 56 people of the both group injured.
At one stage of the clash, a bomb hit Mikel, a follower of Dadon Malot, leaving him dead on the spot, said officer-in-charge of Naria Police Station M Aslam Uddin.
On information, police rushed to the spot and brought the situation under control, said the OC, adding, additional police personnel have been deployed at the area to ward off further clash.
Among the injured 8 were admitted to Dhaka Medical College and Hospital (DMCH) and 48 others to Shariatpur Sadar Hospitals and others locals’ clinics.