- EC neither to bow down nor go to anyone: CEC
- PM to visit flood-ravaged Kurigram, Dinajpur Sunday
- EC’s dialogue with electronic media begins
- Three departments’ names changed at IU
- 6 get life for murder in Khulna
- Saudi Arabia to allow Qatari pilgrims at hajj despite rift
- 2 girls return after languishing in Indian jail
- IBBL and Xpress Money inaugurate Special Promotional Program
- 100 Faridpur villages flooded as Padma flowing over danger mark
- 2 sea robbers held after gunfight in Sundarbans
Convicted war criminal held in Kishoreganj
Members of Rapid Action Battalion (Rab) in a drive arrested a death penalty awarded war criminal from Badla area in Itna upazila on Saturday noon.
The death row convict is -- Hafiz Uddin, who went into hiding after ICT filed a case against him.
Hasan Mostafa Swapan, commanding officer of Rab-14, said on secrete information a team of the elite force conducted a drive at the area and arrested him around 2:45pm.
The International Crimes Tribunal (ICT) awarded death penalty to Hafiz Uddin and three others on May 3 of last year for committing crimes against humanity during the Liberation War in Karimganj upazila of Kishoreganj district.
ICT found all the seven counts of charges, including mass killing, murder, confinement, torture, arson and looting, pressed against them proved.
On 11 April, the three-member tribunal kept the case on CAV (curia advisory vault) for delivery of its judgment any day after closing the law-point arguments from both sides.
On 13 May 2015, the tribunal took cognisance of the charges against the five accused.
The accused reportedly committed crimes against humanity in Bidyanagar, Ayla, Fatergup beel and Piratan beel in Karimganj upazila of Kishoreganj district during the 1971 Liberation War.