- Dhaka urges UNSC to solve Rohingya, Palestine crises
- Explain newborn’s death on Dhaka city road: HC
- Prof Golam Rabbani made DU new proctor
- 50 pc Rohingyas, stranded in no-man’s land, entered BD
- Tanbir’s 61* spurs Bangladesh A 1-0 lead against Ireland A
- Khaleda gets bail in two graft cases
- No head teachers at 249 govt pry schools in Shariatpur
- ‘Breed like rabbits’ or victims of statelessness? The Rohingya women who reject
- AL wants law enforcers to maintain law & order during polls
- Tumpa murder: Husband held from Jessore
Convicted war criminal held in Kishoreganj
Members of Rapid Action Battalion (Rab) in a drive arrested a death penalty awarded war criminal from Badla area in Itna upazila on Saturday noon.
The death row convict is -- Hafiz Uddin, who went into hiding after ICT filed a case against him.
Hasan Mostafa Swapan, commanding officer of Rab-14, said on secrete information a team of the elite force conducted a drive at the area and arrested him around 2:45pm.
The International Crimes Tribunal (ICT) awarded death penalty to Hafiz Uddin and three others on May 3 of last year for committing crimes against humanity during the Liberation War in Karimganj upazila of Kishoreganj district.
ICT found all the seven counts of charges, including mass killing, murder, confinement, torture, arson and looting, pressed against them proved.
On 11 April, the three-member tribunal kept the case on CAV (curia advisory vault) for delivery of its judgment any day after closing the law-point arguments from both sides.
On 13 May 2015, the tribunal took cognisance of the charges against the five accused.
The accused reportedly committed crimes against humanity in Bidyanagar, Ayla, Fatergup beel and Piratan beel in Karimganj upazila of Kishoreganj district during the 1971 Liberation War.