- JP to make history by forming govt again: Ershad
- University teacher, friend drown in Sangu River
- US-Bangla flight makes ‘emergency landing’ at Dhaka airport
- Dhaka seeks stronger UN role in resolving Rohingya crisis
- ‘Lal Jatra’ to be held at DU to recall black night of 1971
- 38 shops gutted in Ctg fire
- Indian court jails powerful politician for embezzling funds
- Class 5 girl gang-raped, burnt alive in Assam’s Nagaon
- 20-party leaders to meet Saturday
- No election keeping Khaleda in jail: Moudud
Schools infrastructure set for big uplift in 2019
Education Minister Nurul Islam Nahid on Saturday said some 19,500 buildings will be constructed for different secondary schools, madrasahs, colleges and universities across the country within the next year.
Some 7,551 academic buildings have already been constructed and the construction works of 1,051 buildings is underway under the first project taken for the secondary level educational institutions, he said.
The minister came up with the statistics at a view-exchange meeting with field-level engineers of the Education Engineering Department (EED) at the International Mother Language Institute’s auditorium in the city’s Segunbaghicha area.
Nahid said a development project involving Tk 4,640 crore will start soon for the vertical extension of 323 secondary schools.
He said some 1,500 buildings have been constructed for various colleges in the country. The construction works of 1,170 more buildings now continues in different colleges, he added.
The minister warned the EED engineers that any type of corruption and anomalies will not be tolerated in the construction of education infrastructure. “We’ve taken ‘zero tolerance policy’ in this regard.”
He asked them to complete all types of works of the current fiscal by May next. “No negligence will be tolerated here,” Nahid added.
Secondary and Higher Education Division Secretary Sohorab Hossain, Technical and Madrasha Education Division Secretary Md Alamgir and Director General of the Secondary and Higher Secondary Directorate Dr SM Wahiduzzaman addressed the meeting with EED chief engineer Dewan Mohammad Hanzala in the chair.