- Remain alert about behaviour, attitude, PM tells party men
- S Korea to provide $1.5 mn for Rohingyas in Bangladesh
- Rohingya crisis: BNP says PM failed to convince global leaders
- IBBL gets award for highest remittance collection
- 6 killed in Munshiganj textile mill fire
- Mexicans dig in rubble seeking survivors as quake kills 248
- Resolve Rohingya crisis ‘before it’s too late’, PM to OIC
- BNP accuses AL men of attacking puja mandaps
- Tonu killers still remain unidentified
- 2 friends electrocuted in Magura
Prof Akhtaruzzaman DU’s acting VC
Prof Dr Md Akhtaruzzaman, Pro-vice Chancellor of Dhaka University (DU), has been appointed its acting Vice Chancellor as the tenure of incumbent VC Prof AAMS Arefin Siddique expired.
President Abdul Hamid, also the Chancellor of the university, on Monday appointed Dr Akhtaruzzaman, a professor of Islamic History and Culture Department, as the acting VC on certain conditions, said a notification.
The President gave the temporary appointment as per clause 11 (2) of the Dhaka University Ordinance 1973, said the notification posted on the website of the Secondary and Higher Education Division of the Education Ministry.
As per the conditions mentioned in the notification, the new VC can be relieved of his charge anytime if the Chancellor deems to do so.
Dr Akhtaruzzaman joined the Islamic History and Culture Department of the university as a lecturer in 1990. He was promoted to professor in 2004. He was the chairman of the department from 2008 to 2011 and the dean of Arts Faculty from 2014 to 2016.