- PM admitted incidents of enforced disappearances, says BNP
- Egypt: Militants kill at least 235 in attack on Sinai mosque
- Zimbabwe's military swears loyalty to Mnangagwa
- Folk singer Bari Siddiqui no more
- Jt working group to implement instrument with Myanmar: Shahriar
- 47 rivers dredged in 8 yrs: Shipping Minister
- Asst train driver killed in Gazipur train-truck collision
- Train derailment in northern India kills 3, hurts 13 others
- Left parties call hartal on Nov 30 protesting power tariff hike
- One killed in Khilgaon police firing
Prof Akhtaruzzaman DU’s acting VC
Prof Dr Md Akhtaruzzaman, Pro-vice Chancellor of Dhaka University (DU), has been appointed its acting Vice Chancellor as the tenure of incumbent VC Prof AAMS Arefin Siddique expired.
President Abdul Hamid, also the Chancellor of the university, on Monday appointed Dr Akhtaruzzaman, a professor of Islamic History and Culture Department, as the acting VC on certain conditions, said a notification.
The President gave the temporary appointment as per clause 11 (2) of the Dhaka University Ordinance 1973, said the notification posted on the website of the Secondary and Higher Education Division of the Education Ministry.
As per the conditions mentioned in the notification, the new VC can be relieved of his charge anytime if the Chancellor deems to do so.
Dr Akhtaruzzaman joined the Islamic History and Culture Department of the university as a lecturer in 1990. He was promoted to professor in 2004. He was the chairman of the department from 2008 to 2011 and the dean of Arts Faculty from 2014 to 2016.