- Bangladesh finishes 3rd in South Asian Badminton
- Rangpur Riders new BPL champions dethroning Dhaka Dynamites
- Moudud finds judges disciplinary rules ‘unconstitional’
- IUTA election Wednesday
- 2 cousins hacked dead in Gazipur
- SWBEC to benefit BD, neighbours, says Muhith
- MPs call for rounding off Doha Round
- 6 more cases filed against Mahmudur Rahman
- NYC commuters returning to subway amid heightened security
- Akayed Ullah ‘born and brought up in Dhaka’
Force Myanmar to take back Rohingyas, PM to IOM DG
New York, BdChronicle:
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Wednesday urged Director General of the International Organization for Migration (IOM) William Lacy Swing to create pressure on Myanmar government to take back Rohingya refugees from Bangladesh.
She made the call when the IOM DG met her at her hotel suite.
Foreign Secretary M Shahidul Haque briefed reporters after the meeting. PM’s Press Secretary Ihsanul Karim was present.
"They (Rohingyas) have to go back to their homeland, create international pressure on Myanmar so that they take steps to bring their citizens back,” Shahidul Haque quoted the Prime Minister as saying.
The IOM DG thanked the Bangladesh Prime Minister for giving shelter to the Rohingya refugees and informed her of the relief operation of IOM for Rohingyas.