- PM says Rohingya problem could be solved with her 5-point proposal
- New satellite image shows mass destruction in Rakhine
- 2 suspected robbers held in Moulvibazar
- 5 of a Bangladeshi family killed in Kuwait fire
- Indian citizen held with 18 gold bars
- Fake doctor, assistant held in Chandpur
- Foreign Minister to visit Myanmar Nov 19
- US, Japan agree to maximize diplomatic pressure on N. Korea
- Maintain objectivity in journalism: President
- Cabinet clears Surcharge Management Policy to control tobacco
Force Myanmar to take back Rohingyas, PM to IOM DG
New York, BdChronicle:
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Wednesday urged Director General of the International Organization for Migration (IOM) William Lacy Swing to create pressure on Myanmar government to take back Rohingya refugees from Bangladesh.
She made the call when the IOM DG met her at her hotel suite.
Foreign Secretary M Shahidul Haque briefed reporters after the meeting. PM’s Press Secretary Ihsanul Karim was present.
"They (Rohingyas) have to go back to their homeland, create international pressure on Myanmar so that they take steps to bring their citizens back,” Shahidul Haque quoted the Prime Minister as saying.
The IOM DG thanked the Bangladesh Prime Minister for giving shelter to the Rohingya refugees and informed her of the relief operation of IOM for Rohingyas.