- Nat’l election: BNP renews demand for dialogue
- 21 eminent citizens receive Ekushey Padak
- Work to gain people’s confidence, President asks PSC
- Appeal filed with HC against Khaleda’s sentence
- Maintain distinctive characters of Bangla: PM
- PM invites her Dutch counterpart to launch BD Delta Plan
- 50 BNP men hurt in clash with police, 20 held
- 17 killed in garbage dump collapse in Mozambique
- Angry mob killed suspects in murder of girl in India
- RU students demand revision of quota systems in gov’t jobs
Dam collapses in Sherpur flooding 15 villages
Flood control embankment has collapsed due to strong current in the Moharashi river due to onrush of water from upstream, inundating 15 villages under four unions in Jhenigati upazila of the district early Saturday.
Following the collapse of 70/80 feet of the dam on Jhenigati-Rangtia road, Upazila Parishad, Jhenigati Bazar went under 2/4 feet water around 8:00 am, said Upazila unit Awami League general secretary Amiruzzaman Lebu.
Locals said low-lying areas of 15 villages of Dhanshail, Sadar, Malijhikanda and Hatibanda union in Jhenigati upazila of the district were inundated by flash floods following onrush of hilly water. As a result, panic is running high among the people of river banks.
Jhenigati Upazila Nirbahi Officer (UNO) Farhana Karim said the huge onrush of water from upstream due to heavy rain caused breaches in the embankment.
Different areas, including Upazila Parishad and Jhenigati Bazar went under water, he informed.