- Maintain objectivity in journalism: President
- Cabinet clears Surcharge Management Policy to control tobacco
- Kader Siddique seeks CEC’s removal
- ACC to interrogate Labaid Group MD
- 13 edu institutions shut in Cox’s Bazar after Rohingya influx
- Allegations against Sinha ‘cooked up to contain him’: BNP
- UK leader makes surprise Brussels trip to undo Brexit logjam
- Portugal wildfires kill at least 27; 4 dead in Spain
- 5,000 more Rohingyas enter Bangladesh
- Rohingya boat capsize death toll rises to 12
Dam collapses in Sherpur flooding 15 villages
Flood control embankment has collapsed due to strong current in the Moharashi river due to onrush of water from upstream, inundating 15 villages under four unions in Jhenigati upazila of the district early Saturday.
Following the collapse of 70/80 feet of the dam on Jhenigati-Rangtia road, Upazila Parishad, Jhenigati Bazar went under 2/4 feet water around 8:00 am, said Upazila unit Awami League general secretary Amiruzzaman Lebu.
Locals said low-lying areas of 15 villages of Dhanshail, Sadar, Malijhikanda and Hatibanda union in Jhenigati upazila of the district were inundated by flash floods following onrush of hilly water. As a result, panic is running high among the people of river banks.
Jhenigati Upazila Nirbahi Officer (UNO) Farhana Karim said the huge onrush of water from upstream due to heavy rain caused breaches in the embankment.
Different areas, including Upazila Parishad and Jhenigati Bazar went under water, he informed.