- Nat’l election: BNP renews demand for dialogue
- 21 eminent citizens receive Ekushey Padak
- Work to gain people’s confidence, President asks PSC
- Appeal filed with HC against Khaleda’s sentence
- Maintain distinctive characters of Bangla: PM
- PM invites her Dutch counterpart to launch BD Delta Plan
- 50 BNP men hurt in clash with police, 20 held
- 17 killed in garbage dump collapse in Mozambique
- Angry mob killed suspects in murder of girl in India
- RU students demand revision of quota systems in gov’t jobs
15 fishermen jailed, fined for defying Hilsa ban
At least 15 fishermen were fined and sentenced for several jail terms on Sunday by Mobile courts of Ramgati upazila of Lakshmipur and Patharghata upazila of Barguna for catching Hilsa defying a government ban.
In Lakshmipur, a mobile court awarded nine fishermen one month jails for each at Ramgati upazila for catching Hilsa in Meghna River.
Md Kamal Uddin, assistant officer of local Fisheries Department said police, Fisheries Department and Coast Guard conducted a drive at Char Gajaria area of the upazila led by Upazila Nirbahi Officer (UNO) and executive Magistrate Ajgar Ali and arrested the fishermen at noon.
The identities of the convicts could not be known immediately.
They also seized 20,000 meters current net (fishing net) and a fishing boat.