- Maintain objectivity in journalism: President
- Cabinet clears Surcharge Management Policy to control tobacco
- Kader Siddique seeks CEC’s removal
- ACC to interrogate Labaid Group MD
- 13 edu institutions shut in Cox’s Bazar after Rohingya influx
- Allegations against Sinha ‘cooked up to contain him’: BNP
- UK leader makes surprise Brussels trip to undo Brexit logjam
- Portugal wildfires kill at least 27; 4 dead in Spain
- 5,000 more Rohingyas enter Bangladesh
- Rohingya boat capsize death toll rises to 12
15 fishermen jailed, fined for defying Hilsa ban
At least 15 fishermen were fined and sentenced for several jail terms on Sunday by Mobile courts of Ramgati upazila of Lakshmipur and Patharghata upazila of Barguna for catching Hilsa defying a government ban.
In Lakshmipur, a mobile court awarded nine fishermen one month jails for each at Ramgati upazila for catching Hilsa in Meghna River.
Md Kamal Uddin, assistant officer of local Fisheries Department said police, Fisheries Department and Coast Guard conducted a drive at Char Gajaria area of the upazila led by Upazila Nirbahi Officer (UNO) and executive Magistrate Ajgar Ali and arrested the fishermen at noon.
The identities of the convicts could not be known immediately.
They also seized 20,000 meters current net (fishing net) and a fishing boat.