- PM says Rohingya problem could be solved with her 5-point proposal
- New satellite image shows mass destruction in Rakhine
- 2 suspected robbers held in Moulvibazar
- 5 of a Bangladeshi family killed in Kuwait fire
- Indian citizen held with 18 gold bars
- Fake doctor, assistant held in Chandpur
- Foreign Minister to visit Myanmar Nov 19
- US, Japan agree to maximize diplomatic pressure on N. Korea
- Maintain objectivity in journalism: President
- Cabinet clears Surcharge Management Policy to control tobacco
Walton smartphone plant opens up new era: Tarana
State Minister for Posts and Telecommunications Tarana Halim has said the launching of Walton Smartphone Plant has opened up a new era of 'Digital Bangladesh'.
"Today is a historical, a joyful and a glorious day for us. Through starting the journey of Walton Smartphone plant, Bangladesh has been enlisted in the list of mobile handsets manufacturing countries," she said while talking to reporters after inaugurating the country's first-ever smartphone manufacturing unit at Walton Digi-Tech Industries Limited at Chandra in Gazipur on Thursday.
Thanking Walton for the initiative, Tarana Halim said it was the long-cherished dream of the Prime Minister that Bangladesh will turn into a manufacturer of mobile handsets.
She also thanked Walton authorities for their initiatives for providing mobile handsets at affordable prices to all, especially people who live in remote areas.
The junior minister also hoped that Walton smartphones will do excellent in competition with other foreign brands.
Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission (BTRC) Chairman Dr Shahjahan Mahmood also attended the event as a special guest.
Chairman of Walton Hi-tech Industries Limited SM Shamsul Alam and Chairman of Walton Digi-Tech Industries Limited SM Rezaul Alam and Managing Director SM Monjurul Alam welcomed the state minister and other guests at the newly built Smartphone Manufacturing Plant with bouquets.
Among others, Walton Group’s Executive Directors SM Zahid Hasan, Mohammod Sirajul Islam and Alamgir Alam Sarker, Senior Operative Directors SM Rejoan Alam and Uday Hakim, Additional Directors Firoj Alam and Jahid Alam, and Media Adviser Enayet Ferdous were also present.
After inaugurating the mobile handset plant, the state minister and other guests visited various units, including Design Develop, Research and Development, Quality Control and Testing Lab.