- Rangpur Riders new BPL champions dethroning Dhaka Dynamites
- Moudud finds judges disciplinary rules ‘unconstitional’
- IUTA election Wednesday
- 2 cousins hacked dead in Gazipur
- SWBEC to benefit BD, neighbours, says Muhith
- MPs call for rounding off Doha Round
- 6 more cases filed against Mahmudur Rahman
- NYC commuters returning to subway amid heightened security
- Akayed Ullah ‘born and brought up in Dhaka’
- Bank account now with only Tk 2; Daak Taka launched
Kathmandu lauds Dhaka’s role over Rohingya issue
Nepalese Foreign Secretary Shanker Das Bairagi on Sunday appreciated the role of the Bangladesh government in handling the Rohingya situation.
The issue came up for discussion in reference to the humanitarian crisis relating to the forcibly displaced Myanmar nationals during his meeting with Foreign Minister AH Mahmood Ali.
During the meeting, Minister Ali and Nepalese Foreign Secretary also emphasized comprehensive engagement and further cooperation between the two countries in the areas of connectivity, trade and investment, power sector cooperation, tourism, culture and people-to-people contact.
Besides, they discussed regional issues of mutual interest, said the Foreign Ministry here.
Bairagi is visiting Bangladesh in connection with the second round of Bilateral Consultations between the two Foreign Secretaries of Bangladesh and Nepal.
He is leading a six-member delegation comprising representatives of different Ministries of Nepal including the Ministries of Energy, Commerce and Higher Education.
Highlighting the historically warm and friendly ties with Nepal, Bairagi appreciated the support of the Government of Bangladesh during the devastating earthquake of Nepal in 2015.
Bairagi also briefed the Foreign Minister about the recent political developments including the upcoming election in Nepal.
Expressing satisfaction at the existing excellent relations between the two countries, the Foreign Minister said that Bangladesh has a great deal of sympathy for Nepal as a land-locked country.
The Foreign Secretary of Nepal appreciated the socio-economic development of Bangladesh under the leadership of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.