- PM says Rohingya problem could be solved with her 5-point proposal
- New satellite image shows mass destruction in Rakhine
- 2 suspected robbers held in Moulvibazar
- 5 of a Bangladeshi family killed in Kuwait fire
- Indian citizen held with 18 gold bars
- Fake doctor, assistant held in Chandpur
- Foreign Minister to visit Myanmar Nov 19
- US, Japan agree to maximize diplomatic pressure on N. Korea
- Maintain objectivity in journalism: President
- Cabinet clears Surcharge Management Policy to control tobacco
Jamaat ameer, 8 others put on 10-day remand
A court here on Tuesday placed nine leaders of Bangladesh Jamaat-e-Islami, including its Ameer Maqbul Ahmad, on a 10-day remand in two cases filed against them with Kadamtali Police Station.
Dhaka Metropolitan Magistrate Golam Nabi passed the order after investigation officer of the cases sub-inspector Saju Miah (Operations) of Kadamtali Police Station sought a 20-day remand for them.
Of the two cases, one was filed under the Special Powers Act while the other under the Arms Act.
Earlier on Monday night, detectives arrested Jamaat Ameer Maqbul Ahmad, its Nayeb-e-Ameer Mia Golam Parwar, also a former MP from Khulna-5 constituency, Secretary General Dr Shafiqur Rahman and six other party leaders from the city’s Uttara area.
A team of Detective Branch of police arrested them from a house at Road-3 of Sector-11 while they were allegedly holding a clandestine meeting.