- Rangpur Riders new BPL champions dethroning Dhaka Dynamites
- Moudud finds judges disciplinary rules ‘unconstitional’
- IUTA election Wednesday
- 2 cousins hacked dead in Gazipur
- SWBEC to benefit BD, neighbours, says Muhith
- MPs call for rounding off Doha Round
- 6 more cases filed against Mahmudur Rahman
- NYC commuters returning to subway amid heightened security
- Akayed Ullah ‘born and brought up in Dhaka’
- Bank account now with only Tk 2; Daak Taka launched
Jamaat ameer, 8 others put on 10-day remand
A court here on Tuesday placed nine leaders of Bangladesh Jamaat-e-Islami, including its Ameer Maqbul Ahmad, on a 10-day remand in two cases filed against them with Kadamtali Police Station.
Dhaka Metropolitan Magistrate Golam Nabi passed the order after investigation officer of the cases sub-inspector Saju Miah (Operations) of Kadamtali Police Station sought a 20-day remand for them.
Of the two cases, one was filed under the Special Powers Act while the other under the Arms Act.
Earlier on Monday night, detectives arrested Jamaat Ameer Maqbul Ahmad, its Nayeb-e-Ameer Mia Golam Parwar, also a former MP from Khulna-5 constituency, Secretary General Dr Shafiqur Rahman and six other party leaders from the city’s Uttara area.
A team of Detective Branch of police arrested them from a house at Road-3 of Sector-11 while they were allegedly holding a clandestine meeting.