- Rangpur Riders new BPL champions dethroning Dhaka Dynamites
- Moudud finds judges disciplinary rules ‘unconstitional’
- IUTA election Wednesday
- 2 cousins hacked dead in Gazipur
- SWBEC to benefit BD, neighbours, says Muhith
- MPs call for rounding off Doha Round
- 6 more cases filed against Mahmudur Rahman
- NYC commuters returning to subway amid heightened security
- Akayed Ullah ‘born and brought up in Dhaka’
- Bank account now with only Tk 2; Daak Taka launched
Jamaat calls daylong hartal for Thursday
Bangladesh Jamaat-e-Islami has called a countrywide dawn-to-dusk hartal for Thursday protesting the arrest and remand of its top leaders, including Ameer Maqbul Ahmad.
The party announced the shutdown in a statement on Tuesday soon after a court put nine of their top leaders on a 10-day remand in two cases filed against them with Kadamtali Police Station.
Earlier on Monday night, detectives arrested Jamaat Ameer Maqbul Ahmad, its Nayeb-e-Ameer Mia Golam Parwar, also a former MP from Khulna-5 constituency, Secretary General Dr Shafiqur Rahman and six other party leaders from the city’s Uttara area.
A team of Detective Branch of police arrested them from a house at Road-3 of Sector-11 while they were allegedly holding a clandestine meeting.
The Jamaat statement said ambulance, fire service and hospital vehicles, media and other emergency services will remain outside the purview of the hartal.