- PM slams judiciary for ‘wasting’ time with ‘silly’ matters
- Khaleda sits with her advisers
- BNP picks Babla for Rangpur city polls
- Australia to help BD for safe return of Rohingyas
- Khaleda must join polls under Hasina, says Shajahan
- Sheikh Hasina University Bill placed in JS
- Buet students to return to classes Saturday
- 5th Management Week begins at JU Wednesday
- Street movement if no understanding over polls, warns BNP
- IBBL receives highest taxpayer award
DU to remember Jagannath Hall tragedy Sunday
Dhaka University (DU) will remember on Sunday the students and guests who were killed in a tragic incident at Jagannath Hall on the night of October 15 in 1985.
On that day in 1985, a total of 39 people, including 26 students and 13 guests, died in a tragic collapse of the roof of a one-storey building at the dormitory.
DU authorities have taken various programmes, including mourning procession, hoisting black flags, placing wreaths at the memorial of the victims and offering special prayers, said a DU press release on Saturday.
A blood donation programme will be arranged on the Jagannath Hall premises while a painting exhibition will be held at the dormitory from 9am to 6pm.
Besides, a discussion programme will be held in the television room of the October Memorial Building at 8 am.
As part of the Mourning Day's programme, a devotional song and poetry recitation session will be held at the prayer hall of Jagannath Hall at 6:30 pm.
The hall authorities will arrange ‘October Memorial Essay Competition’ and ‘October Memorial Painting Competition’ in association with Arts Faculty and Fine Arts Faculty respectively on October 31.