- Draft of judges’ conduct rules sent to SC
- Dhaka CID calls Tonu’s parents to meet Wednesday
- Baby girl stolen from DMCH
- Talks with BNP must for ‘PM’s graceful exit’, says Moudud
- Myanmar's treatment of Rohingya called apartheid
- Zimbabwe's Mugabe ignores calls to quit, faces impeachment
- 43rd National ‘A’ Chess begins Tuesday
- US$ 100 million contract signed to accelerate FSRT in Moheskhali
- BNP demands action against Thakurpara attackers
- Panthapath hotel operation: Another ‘militant’ held in city
More than 2000 sued over Rangpur clash, 36 held
A case was filed against more than 2000 people over the clash between law enforcers and locals in sadar upazila centering a Facebook post ‘demeaning’ Prophet Hazrat Muhammad (PUBH) that killed a man and injured 20 others.
Police on Saturday morning filed the case with Gangachhara police station against more than 2000 people, including 25-30 named ones.
Police detained 36 people from Gangachhara upailza and Kotwali thana area on Friday night in this connection, said Jinnat Ali, officer in charge of Gangachhara police station.
Earlier on Friday, a man was killed and 20 others, including four policemen, were injured in a clash at Thakurbari village in Sadar upazila over a Facebook post by Titu Chandra demeaning’ the Prophet.
Over the issue, around 8,000 people from nearby villages marched towards Thakurbari village, a Hindu-dominated village and vandalised and torched 8-10 houses of the Hindu community.
On information, police rushed in, charged baton, fired rubber bullets and lobbed teargas canisters to disperse the agitating people, leaving six people injured with bullets.
One of the injured -- Hasan -- died while being moved to Rangpur Medical College Hospital
Later, the angry mob blocked Rangpur-Syedpur road and vandalised several moving vehicles.