- Draft of judges’ conduct rules sent to SC
- Dhaka CID calls Tonu’s parents to meet Wednesday
- Baby girl stolen from DMCH
- Talks with BNP must for ‘PM’s graceful exit’, says Moudud
- Myanmar's treatment of Rohingya called apartheid
- Zimbabwe's Mugabe ignores calls to quit, faces impeachment
- 43rd National ‘A’ Chess begins Tuesday
- US$ 100 million contract signed to accelerate FSRT in Moheskhali
- BNP demands action against Thakurpara attackers
- Panthapath hotel operation: Another ‘militant’ held in city
Bar council certificates only for meritorious law graduates: Minister
Law Minister Anisul Huq on Saturday said the Bar council certificates should be provided only on the basis of merit and quality of the fresh graduates for the greater benefit of the lawyers to maintain the quality and the dignity of the profession.
The Minister came up with the remark while giving away the Bar Council Certificate among the new lawyers at city’s Officers' Club while acting Chief Justice M Abdul Wahhab Miah attended the programme as the chief guest, said a PID handout.
He said the major aim of the present government is to strengthen the foundation of the democracy with the spirit of the Liberation War.
To fulfill the expectation and the constitutional rights of the people, the role of lawyers is immense, the Minister also said.
Attorney General Mahbubey Alam, among others, spoke on the occasion with Bangladesh Bar Council vice chairman Abdul Baset Majumder in the chair.