- Draft of judges’ conduct rules sent to SC
- Dhaka CID calls Tonu’s parents to meet Wednesday
- Baby girl stolen from DMCH
- Talks with BNP must for ‘PM’s graceful exit’, says Moudud
- Myanmar's treatment of Rohingya called apartheid
- Zimbabwe's Mugabe ignores calls to quit, faces impeachment
- 43rd National ‘A’ Chess begins Tuesday
- US$ 100 million contract signed to accelerate FSRT in Moheskhali
- BNP demands action against Thakurpara attackers
- Panthapath hotel operation: Another ‘militant’ held in city
Sharfuddin gets AL ticket to contest RCC election
Awami League on Saturday nominated Sharfuddin Ahmed as its candidate to contest the upcoming Rangpur City Corporation (RCC) election to be held on December 21 next.
The nomination was given at a meeting of AL Local Government Nomination Board held in the evening with AL chief and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina in the chair at her official residence Ganobhaban.
On October 31, the Election Commission announced the schedule for holding the second election to Rangpur City Corporation.
According to the schedule, the last date for the submission of nomination paper is November 22 while that for withdrawal is December 3. The nomination papers will be scrutinised in between November 25 and 26.
Meanwhile, Rangpur regional election officer Subash Chandra Sarkar has been appointed as the returning officer.
The city has got some 3, 88,421 voters and they are expected to exercise their franchise through 1177 booths of possible 196 polling stations during the election.
The Election Commission has a legal obligation to complete the election by March 18, 2018.
The maiden election to the RCC was held on December 20, 2012.