- Another Rohingya man stabbed dead in Cox’s Bazar
- Why AL ‘fears’ fair polls, wonders BNP
- Khaleda seeking steps against jr minister for ‘contemptuous’ comment
- 2 workers die falling off Ctg building
- Stop PM from engaging in unilateral campaign: BNP to EC
- Joypurhat road accident kills two
- Pro-AL panel sweeps DU registered graduate polls
- Bill passed to reduce wastage of water
- Half of unpaid wages of jute workers to be cleared: Minister
- Software to say goodbye to tax hassles
Sharfuddin gets AL ticket to contest RCC election
Awami League on Saturday nominated Sharfuddin Ahmed as its candidate to contest the upcoming Rangpur City Corporation (RCC) election to be held on December 21 next.
The nomination was given at a meeting of AL Local Government Nomination Board held in the evening with AL chief and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina in the chair at her official residence Ganobhaban.
On October 31, the Election Commission announced the schedule for holding the second election to Rangpur City Corporation.
According to the schedule, the last date for the submission of nomination paper is November 22 while that for withdrawal is December 3. The nomination papers will be scrutinised in between November 25 and 26.
Meanwhile, Rangpur regional election officer Subash Chandra Sarkar has been appointed as the returning officer.
The city has got some 3, 88,421 voters and they are expected to exercise their franchise through 1177 booths of possible 196 polling stations during the election.
The Election Commission has a legal obligation to complete the election by March 18, 2018.
The maiden election to the RCC was held on December 20, 2012.