- Another Rohingya man stabbed dead in Cox’s Bazar
- Why AL ‘fears’ fair polls, wonders BNP
- Khaleda seeking steps against jr minister for ‘contemptuous’ comment
- 2 workers die falling off Ctg building
- Stop PM from engaging in unilateral campaign: BNP to EC
- Joypurhat road accident kills two
- Pro-AL panel sweeps DU registered graduate polls
- Bill passed to reduce wastage of water
- Half of unpaid wages of jute workers to be cleared: Minister
- Software to say goodbye to tax hassles
4 Barguna BCL leaders held over ‘killing girl after gang-rape’
Police have arrested five people, including four local Bangladesh Chhatra League (BCL) leaders, for allegedly killing a girl after gang-rape.
The arrestees are Patharghata Degree College unit BCL president Ruhi Anal Daniel, 22, its general secretary Saddam Hossain Chhotto, 21, and organising secretary Mahidul Islam Raihan, 19, upazila BCL assistant secretary Mohammad Mahmud and Md Jahangir Hossain, 44, a night guard of the college.
Police Super of the district Bijoy Basak said police recovered the decomposed body of an unidentified young girl from a pond on the western side of the college on August 10 last.
Following an investigation, Detective Branch of police arrested Jahangir early Saturday and the night guard during interrogation confessed to his part in the killing, he said.
Based on the information extracted from Jahangir, the law enforcers arrested Mahmud and Raihan on Saturday night, the SP said, adding that they disclosed the names of the two other BCL leaders who were arrested on Sunday night.
Bijoy who declined to elaborate further for the sake of fair investigation said the identity of the victim might be ascertained after interrogating Daniel and Saddam.
Meanwhile, BCL central executive committee on Sunday expelled the four accused leaders from the organisation, said a press release signed by BCL president Saifur Rahman Sohag and general secretary SM Zakir Hossain.