- PM to bid adieu 23 plane crash victims at Army Stadium
- Khaleda’s bail stayed till May 8 in graft case
- 1st janaza of 23 plane crash victims held in Nepal
- BNP to resist bid to hold lopsided polls, says Rizvi
- BNP stages demo protesting Milon’s death in custody
- DU teacher relieved of academic duties for assaulting fellow
- Govt mulling pvt sector`s participation in power transmission, distribution
- Rajshahi fresher fails to surface after falling into Padma
- Burglars loot ‘Tk 72 lakh’ from Unilever distributor’s office
- Youth gets life in prison for raping visually-impaired girl
4 Barguna BCL leaders held over ‘killing girl after gang-rape’
Police have arrested five people, including four local Bangladesh Chhatra League (BCL) leaders, for allegedly killing a girl after gang-rape.
The arrestees are Patharghata Degree College unit BCL president Ruhi Anal Daniel, 22, its general secretary Saddam Hossain Chhotto, 21, and organising secretary Mahidul Islam Raihan, 19, upazila BCL assistant secretary Mohammad Mahmud and Md Jahangir Hossain, 44, a night guard of the college.
Police Super of the district Bijoy Basak said police recovered the decomposed body of an unidentified young girl from a pond on the western side of the college on August 10 last.
Following an investigation, Detective Branch of police arrested Jahangir early Saturday and the night guard during interrogation confessed to his part in the killing, he said.
Based on the information extracted from Jahangir, the law enforcers arrested Mahmud and Raihan on Saturday night, the SP said, adding that they disclosed the names of the two other BCL leaders who were arrested on Sunday night.
Bijoy who declined to elaborate further for the sake of fair investigation said the identity of the victim might be ascertained after interrogating Daniel and Saddam.
Meanwhile, BCL central executive committee on Sunday expelled the four accused leaders from the organisation, said a press release signed by BCL president Saifur Rahman Sohag and general secretary SM Zakir Hossain.