- Another Rohingya man stabbed dead in Cox’s Bazar
- Why AL ‘fears’ fair polls, wonders BNP
- Khaleda seeking steps against jr minister for ‘contemptuous’ comment
- 2 workers die falling off Ctg building
- Stop PM from engaging in unilateral campaign: BNP to EC
- Joypurhat road accident kills two
- Pro-AL panel sweeps DU registered graduate polls
- Bill passed to reduce wastage of water
- Half of unpaid wages of jute workers to be cleared: Minister
- Software to say goodbye to tax hassles
Expat, 4 family members sued under ICT Act over Facebook post
A case has been filed against an expatriate youth living in Italy and four members of his family under section 57 of the ICT Act for allegedly making disparaging posts against a female US expatriate along with her photographs on the social media.
Victim Afsana Arif Meghla’s father Arifuzzaman filed the case with Bandar Police Station on Monday evening.
The accused are Arifuzzaman’s brother-in-law (sister’s husband) Lokman Hossain, Lokman’s elder son Joni alias Hridoy Sheikh and younger son Roni, and their cousins Roxy and Josi.
Citing the first information report, officer-in-charge of Bandar Police Station Abul Kalam said Joni wanted to marry Meghla but Meghla rejected his proposal and married another Bangladeshi expatriate living in the USA.
Angered, Joni physically assaulted Meghla’s parents on July 9 last after returning home from Italy which went into arbitration, he said.
Later, Joni posted offensive posts on Facebook about Meghla and her mother, the OC said, adding that two of the accused -– Roni and Roxy -- are now living abroad. “We’re trying to arrest three other accused.”