- Draft of judges’ conduct rules sent to SC
- Dhaka CID calls Tonu’s parents to meet Wednesday
- Baby girl stolen from DMCH
- Talks with BNP must for ‘PM’s graceful exit’, says Moudud
- Myanmar's treatment of Rohingya called apartheid
- Zimbabwe's Mugabe ignores calls to quit, faces impeachment
- 43rd National ‘A’ Chess begins Tuesday
- US$ 100 million contract signed to accelerate FSRT in Moheskhali
- BNP demands action against Thakurpara attackers
- Panthapath hotel operation: Another ‘militant’ held in city
Expat, 4 family members sued under ICT Act over Facebook post
A case has been filed against an expatriate youth living in Italy and four members of his family under section 57 of the ICT Act for allegedly making disparaging posts against a female US expatriate along with her photographs on the social media.
Victim Afsana Arif Meghla’s father Arifuzzaman filed the case with Bandar Police Station on Monday evening.
The accused are Arifuzzaman’s brother-in-law (sister’s husband) Lokman Hossain, Lokman’s elder son Joni alias Hridoy Sheikh and younger son Roni, and their cousins Roxy and Josi.
Citing the first information report, officer-in-charge of Bandar Police Station Abul Kalam said Joni wanted to marry Meghla but Meghla rejected his proposal and married another Bangladeshi expatriate living in the USA.
Angered, Joni physically assaulted Meghla’s parents on July 9 last after returning home from Italy which went into arbitration, he said.
Later, Joni posted offensive posts on Facebook about Meghla and her mother, the OC said, adding that two of the accused -– Roni and Roxy -- are now living abroad. “We’re trying to arrest three other accused.”