- JP to make history by forming govt again: Ershad
- University teacher, friend drown in Sangu River
- US-Bangla flight makes ‘emergency landing’ at Dhaka airport
- Dhaka seeks stronger UN role in resolving Rohingya crisis
- ‘Lal Jatra’ to be held at DU to recall black night of 1971
- 38 shops gutted in Ctg fire
- Indian court jails powerful politician for embezzling funds
- Class 5 girl gang-raped, burnt alive in Assam’s Nagaon
- 20-party leaders to meet Saturday
- No election keeping Khaleda in jail: Moudud
5 get life for killing housewife in B’baria
A court has convicted five people and sentenced them to life term imprisonment for killing a housewife at Bidyakut village in Nabinagar upazila in 2009.
The convicts are -- Rafiqul Islam, husband of the victim and a resident of Bidyakut village, his four associates Shamim Ahmed, Aktar Hossain, Choto Aktar Hossain and Arash Doctor.
Additional District and Sessions Judge M Moin Uddin passed the verdict on Tuesday.
According to the prosecution, Rafiqul hired the four others to kill her wife Fatu Begum Simu prompted by his second wife.
As per the plan, Shamim, Aktar, Choto Aktar and Arash Doctor killed Simu while she was returning from her father’s house along with Rafiqul on July 10, 2009.
Following the incident, Rafiqul’s father Abul Hossain filed a murder case.