- Charges pressed against 228 over Nasirnagar attack
- Khaleda sits with BNP policymakers
- Shakib made Tigers’ Test captain
- Most new taxpayers aged below 40, says Muhith
- SI without ticket gets violent
- Two killed in Sirajganj road accident
- Missing Chandpur businessman turns up dead
- ICT exports: Palak eyes 6-fold increase by ‘21
- Contempt of court rule against EC
- Security guard burnt alive in N’ganj market fire
Panthapath hotel operation: Another ‘militant’ held in city
Police in a joint drive on Sunday arrested another suspected militant at Gulshan in the city in connection with the ‘planned militant attack’ from a hideout at hotel Olio International in Panthapath here on August 15.
The arrestee is Tanvir Yeasin Karim alias Hitman alias Jin, 32.
A special team comprising members of Counter Terrorism and Transnational Crime (CTTC) unit of Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP), Lawful Interception Cell (LIC) branch of Police Headquarters, Special Branch (SB) and Bogra District Police jointly conducted a drive around 9:30 pm at Azad Mosque area of Gulshan and arrested him.
Earlier on August 15, police conducted an anti-militant drive “August Bite” at the hotel and prevented a possible attack on those marching towards Dhanmondi road No 32, marking the Mourning Day.
Saiful Islam, son of Abul Khayer of Dumuria upazila in Khulna, was killed in the drive.
On August 16, a case was filed in the connection, investigation report of which said arrested Tanvir Yeasin Karin and fugitive Akram Hossain Khan Niloy are the mastermind and fund provider, both of them are top leaders of banned Islamic militant outfit “Neo-JMB”.