- Graduation from LDC: Govt to celebrate on March 22
- BD hailed for pioneering Int'l Mother Language Day
- President goes to Singapore for treatment
- Bangladesh makes progress in graft index
- Cop suspended in C’nawabganj for attempt to snatch Tk 3 lakh
- 2 cops among 4 held for looting Satkhira trader’s money
- Set more anti-graft instances to improve score: TIB
- Always stay ready to face external, internal threats: PM to Army
- People defy border barriers for mother tongue
- Friends of Pakistan alternatives to AL: Quader to India
BNP picks Babla for Rangpur city polls
BNP on Tuesday night picked its Rangpur city unit BNP president Kausar Zaman Babla as its mayoral candidate in the Rangpur City Corporation polls slated for December 21.
BNP secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir formally announced it after a meeting with party chairperson Khaleda Zia at her Gulshan office.
“Kausar Zaman is our candidate to vie for the mayoral post in the Ragpur City Corporation polls. He also contested the election with BNP ticket. We hope he will do better this time,” he said.
Voicing a deep worry over holding a credible election in the Rangpur city, Fakhrul demanded deployment of army during voting.
BNP’s Rangpur divisional organising secretary Asadul Habib Dulu collected the party nomination paper in favour of Babla.
Earlier, ruling Awami League nominated incumbent Rangpur City Corporation Mayor Sarfuddin Ahmed as its candidate for contesting the mayoral election.
Babla was defeated by Sarfuddin in the maiden election to Rangpur City Corporation on December 20, 2012.