- Charges pressed against 228 over Nasirnagar attack
- Khaleda sits with BNP policymakers
- Shakib made Tigers’ Test captain
- Most new taxpayers aged below 40, says Muhith
- SI without ticket gets violent
- Two killed in Sirajganj road accident
- Missing Chandpur businessman turns up dead
- ICT exports: Palak eyes 6-fold increase by ‘21
- Contempt of court rule against EC
- Security guard burnt alive in N’ganj market fire
BNP picks Babla for Rangpur city polls
BNP on Tuesday night picked its Rangpur city unit BNP president Kausar Zaman Babla as its mayoral candidate in the Rangpur City Corporation polls slated for December 21.
BNP secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir formally announced it after a meeting with party chairperson Khaleda Zia at her Gulshan office.
“Kausar Zaman is our candidate to vie for the mayoral post in the Ragpur City Corporation polls. He also contested the election with BNP ticket. We hope he will do better this time,” he said.
Voicing a deep worry over holding a credible election in the Rangpur city, Fakhrul demanded deployment of army during voting.
BNP’s Rangpur divisional organising secretary Asadul Habib Dulu collected the party nomination paper in favour of Babla.
Earlier, ruling Awami League nominated incumbent Rangpur City Corporation Mayor Sarfuddin Ahmed as its candidate for contesting the mayoral election.
Babla was defeated by Sarfuddin in the maiden election to Rangpur City Corporation on December 20, 2012.