- Graduation from LDC: Govt to celebrate on March 22
- BD hailed for pioneering Int'l Mother Language Day
- President goes to Singapore for treatment
- Bangladesh makes progress in graft index
- Cop suspended in C’nawabganj for attempt to snatch Tk 3 lakh
- 2 cops among 4 held for looting Satkhira trader’s money
- Set more anti-graft instances to improve score: TIB
- Always stay ready to face external, internal threats: PM to Army
- People defy border barriers for mother tongue
- Friends of Pakistan alternatives to AL: Quader to India
Left parties call hartal on Nov 30 protesting power tariff hike
The left-leaning parties on Thursday called an eight-hour hartal for November 30 protesting the fresh power price hike.
Ganatantrik Bam Morcha, Communist Party of Bangladesh (CPB) and Socialist Party of Bangladesh (BSD) jointly called the hartal.
In a press release, the parties informed that the hartal will be enforced from 6:00 am to 2:00 pm.
This afternoon the Bangladesh Energy Regulatory Commission (BERC) on an average raised power tariff by 5.3 percent or Tk. 0.35 per unit.
Berc Chairman Monwar Islam announced the decision saying that the new tariff will come into effect from December.
Earlier on September 1, the price for electricity was raised by 2.93 percent on average.