- Nat’l election: BNP renews demand for dialogue
- 21 eminent citizens receive Ekushey Padak
- Work to gain people’s confidence, President asks PSC
- Appeal filed with HC against Khaleda’s sentence
- Maintain distinctive characters of Bangla: PM
- PM invites her Dutch counterpart to launch BD Delta Plan
- 50 BNP men hurt in clash with police, 20 held
- 17 killed in garbage dump collapse in Mozambique
- Angry mob killed suspects in murder of girl in India
- RU students demand revision of quota systems in gov’t jobs
Asst train driver killed in Gazipur train-truck collision
An assistant train driver was killed and 50 passengers were injured as a train hit a truck at Bokterpur level-crossing on Dhaka-Rajshahi route in Kaliakoir upazila early Friday.
The deceased was identified as Nur Alam Sharif, son of Momin Sharif of Alfadanga upazila of Faridpur.
Officials said the rail link of the country’s northern region with capital Dhaka was disrupted for six hours following the accident that took place at 2:00am.
Ibrahim Chowdhury, a warehouse inspector at Kaliakoir Fire Service, said the accident took place when the Lalmonirhat-bound Lalmoni Express train hit an out-of-service truck on the track around 2:00am, leaving Sharif dead on the spot and 50 others injured.
The injured were taken to the upazila health complex.
The rescue operation was on till filing of the report around 9:20 am.