- Charges pressed against 228 over Nasirnagar attack
- Khaleda sits with BNP policymakers
- Shakib made Tigers’ Test captain
- Most new taxpayers aged below 40, says Muhith
- SI without ticket gets violent
- Two killed in Sirajganj road accident
- Missing Chandpur businessman turns up dead
- ICT exports: Palak eyes 6-fold increase by ‘21
- Contempt of court rule against EC
- Security guard burnt alive in N’ganj market fire
Inu for people-media involvement to achieve SDGs
Mentioning that ending poverty and gender discrimination is the key challenge to achieving SDGs, Information Minister Hasanul Haq Inu on Tuesdayunderscored the need for involvement of people and the media to attain the goals.
He made the remarks while addressing a daylong workshop on ‘Dissemination of SDG Action Plan’ organised by the Information Ministry at the Press Institute of Bangladesh (PIB) in the city..achieve the Sustainable Development Goals.
Inualso proposed establishing an ‘SDG Promotion Platform’ underthe public-private partnership to reach the action plan among the common people for achieving the SDGs.
Mentioning that sustainable economy is very important for achieving the SDGs, the minister said the prerequisite of sustainable economy is sustainable politics. “It’s not possible to ensure a sustainable economy in a politically unsteady environment.”
Addressing the programme as a special guest,Chief Coordinator for SDG Affairs of the Prime Minister's Office M Abul Kalam Azad put emphasis on research to attain the SDGs.
Media can play a great role in reaching the government’s SDGs action plan to people,he said urging the authorities concerned to engage country’s press clubs to train journalists in this regard.
Prof Dr Shamsul Alam, Member of thePlanning Commission’s General Economics Division,among others, spokeat the programme held with Information Secretary Martuza Ahmed in the chair.