- Nat’l election: BNP renews demand for dialogue
- 21 eminent citizens receive Ekushey Padak
- Work to gain people’s confidence, President asks PSC
- Appeal filed with HC against Khaleda’s sentence
- Maintain distinctive characters of Bangla: PM
- PM invites her Dutch counterpart to launch BD Delta Plan
- 50 BNP men hurt in clash with police, 20 held
- 17 killed in garbage dump collapse in Mozambique
- Angry mob killed suspects in murder of girl in India
- RU students demand revision of quota systems in gov’t jobs
Inu for people-media involvement to achieve SDGs
Mentioning that ending poverty and gender discrimination is the key challenge to achieving SDGs, Information Minister Hasanul Haq Inu on Tuesdayunderscored the need for involvement of people and the media to attain the goals.
He made the remarks while addressing a daylong workshop on ‘Dissemination of SDG Action Plan’ organised by the Information Ministry at the Press Institute of Bangladesh (PIB) in the city..achieve the Sustainable Development Goals.
Inualso proposed establishing an ‘SDG Promotion Platform’ underthe public-private partnership to reach the action plan among the common people for achieving the SDGs.
Mentioning that sustainable economy is very important for achieving the SDGs, the minister said the prerequisite of sustainable economy is sustainable politics. “It’s not possible to ensure a sustainable economy in a politically unsteady environment.”
Addressing the programme as a special guest,Chief Coordinator for SDG Affairs of the Prime Minister's Office M Abul Kalam Azad put emphasis on research to attain the SDGs.
Media can play a great role in reaching the government’s SDGs action plan to people,he said urging the authorities concerned to engage country’s press clubs to train journalists in this regard.
Prof Dr Shamsul Alam, Member of thePlanning Commission’s General Economics Division,among others, spokeat the programme held with Information Secretary Martuza Ahmed in the chair.