- Charges pressed against 228 over Nasirnagar attack
- Khaleda sits with BNP policymakers
- Shakib made Tigers’ Test captain
- Most new taxpayers aged below 40, says Muhith
- SI without ticket gets violent
- Two killed in Sirajganj road accident
- Missing Chandpur businessman turns up dead
- ICT exports: Palak eyes 6-fold increase by ‘21
- Contempt of court rule against EC
- Security guard burnt alive in N’ganj market fire
JU left-leaning student orgs block Dhaka-Aricha highway
Jahangirnagar University, BdChronicle:
Left-leaning student organisations of Jahangirnagar University on Thursday blockaded the Dhaka-Aricha highway at Joy Bangla gate of the university in support of today’s countrywide hartal protesting power price hike.
Some 20-30 students under the banner of "Progotishil Chhatra Jote" blocked the highway for two hours from 6:00 am to 8:00 am, said Imran Nadim, president of JU unit of Chhatra Union.
A huge traffic jam created on the busy highway following the blockade.
On information, Ashulia police rushed to the spot and drove them away from the road.
On Wednesday night, the jote also staged a protest rally on the campus, supporting the hartal.
Earlier, Left-leaning political parties called countrywide half-day hartal protesting power tariff hike.
The eight-hour strike started at 6:00 am and will continue till 2:00 pm.