- Students' demo demands revision of quota system in govt jobs
- BNP begins signature collection from mass people
- 4th free clinic in west Darfur by BD peacekeepers
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake slams south, central Mexico
- US, Turkey return from brink, aim to 'normalize' ties
- Govt creating ‘smokescreen’ over verdict copy: BNP
- No bar for BNP to take part in polls: Inu
- The dark underbelly to our enduring romance with otithee pakhi
- Networking conference on journalism held at RU
- Cop sustains bullet injuries in Ctg
JU left-leaning student orgs block Dhaka-Aricha highway
Jahangirnagar University, BdChronicle:
Left-leaning student organisations of Jahangirnagar University on Thursday blockaded the Dhaka-Aricha highway at Joy Bangla gate of the university in support of today’s countrywide hartal protesting power price hike.
Some 20-30 students under the banner of "Progotishil Chhatra Jote" blocked the highway for two hours from 6:00 am to 8:00 am, said Imran Nadim, president of JU unit of Chhatra Union.
A huge traffic jam created on the busy highway following the blockade.
On information, Ashulia police rushed to the spot and drove them away from the road.
On Wednesday night, the jote also staged a protest rally on the campus, supporting the hartal.
Earlier, Left-leaning political parties called countrywide half-day hartal protesting power tariff hike.
The eight-hour strike started at 6:00 am and will continue till 2:00 pm.