- Charges pressed against 228 over Nasirnagar attack
- Khaleda sits with BNP policymakers
- Shakib made Tigers’ Test captain
- Most new taxpayers aged below 40, says Muhith
- SI without ticket gets violent
- Two killed in Sirajganj road accident
- Missing Chandpur businessman turns up dead
- ICT exports: Palak eyes 6-fold increase by ‘21
- Contempt of court rule against EC
- Security guard burnt alive in N’ganj market fire
Annisul’s incomplete dev projects to continue: Minister
Developmental projects undertaken by late Dhaka North City Corporation (DNCC) mayor Annisul Huq will be carried on by the city corporation, said LGRD and Cooperatives Minister Khandker Mosharraf Hossain on Monday.
The LGRD ministry will assist them in the implementation of the incomplete projects, he said while talking to reporters at his ministry.
A gazette will be published declaring the mayoral post of DNCC vacant following the death of Mayor Annisul Huq, he said.
Holding by-election to the vacant post within 90 days after falling it vacant is a must, said the minister expressing his hope that the Election Commission will hold the by-polls within the timeframe.
“Voters will decide in the next election who will be their new mayor,” he added.
Hoping to have an enthusiastic mayor like Annisul, the minister said the new mayor will have to accomplish the initiatives taken by his predecessor.
Earlier on Sunday, EC Secretary Helaluddin Ahmed said that the Commission will start the election process soon after the gazette is published by the Local Government Ministry declaring the mayoral post vacant.
According to the Local Government (City Corporation) Act 2009, the Election Commission has also a legal obligation to complete the by-election within 90 days.
Annisul Huq was elected the DNCC mayor contesting the DNCC election held on April 28, 2015 with Awami League ticket.