- Charges pressed against 228 over Nasirnagar attack
- Khaleda sits with BNP policymakers
- Shakib made Tigers’ Test captain
- Most new taxpayers aged below 40, says Muhith
- SI without ticket gets violent
- Two killed in Sirajganj road accident
- Missing Chandpur businessman turns up dead
- ICT exports: Palak eyes 6-fold increase by ‘21
- Contempt of court rule against EC
- Security guard burnt alive in N’ganj market fire
Gazette signed declaring DNCC mayoral post vacant
The LGRD and Cooperatives Ministry signed a gazette declaring the Dhaka North City Corporation (DNCC) mayoral post vacant after the death of Mayor Annisul Huq.
“A file in this regard was signed on Sunday and it has been sent for printing. The gazette will come into effect from the date of signing,” said LGRD and Cooperatives Minister Khandker Mosharraf Hossain while talking to reporters at his office on Monday.
Holding by-election to the vacant post within 90 days is a must after it fell vacant, said the minister expressing his hope that the Election Commission will hold the by-polls within the timeframe.
“Voters will decide in the next election who will be their new mayor,” he added.
On Sunday last, EC Secretary Helaluddin Ahmed said the Commission will start the election process soon after the gazette is published by the Local Government Ministry declaring the mayoral post vacant.
According to the Local Government (City Corporation) Act 2009, the Election Commission also has a legal obligation to complete the by-election within 90 days.
Annisul Huq was elected the DNCC mayor contesting the DNCC election held on April 28, 2015 with Awami League ticket.