- Charges pressed against 228 over Nasirnagar attack
- Khaleda sits with BNP policymakers
- Shakib made Tigers’ Test captain
- Most new taxpayers aged below 40, says Muhith
- SI without ticket gets violent
- Two killed in Sirajganj road accident
- Missing Chandpur businessman turns up dead
- ICT exports: Palak eyes 6-fold increase by ‘21
- Contempt of court rule against EC
- Security guard burnt alive in N’ganj market fire
Ferry links of southern region snapped
Ferry communications of the southern districts with capital Dhaka remained suspended early Wednesday following a collision between a passenger ferry and a lighterage ship in the Kocha River near Bekutia Ferry Ghat.
Mohammad Shamimul Haq, executive engineer of Barisal Ferry Division, said the accident took place when a lighterage ship coming from west-side hit the Khawkhali-bound ferry carrying nine vehicles around 1:00 am, leaving two people on board the ferry injured.
Sensing danger after collision, driver of the ferry drove it toward a nearby char but a bus and two trucks with cattle and gas cylinders fell into the river and drowned just before anchored there.
But passengers got down from the bus safely.
The injured were taken to Pirojpur Sadar Hospital.
Rescue operation is going on.
Meanwhile, Pirojpur DC Md Khairul Alam Sheikh visited the spot.