- Another Rohingya man stabbed dead in Cox’s Bazar
- Why AL ‘fears’ fair polls, wonders BNP
- Khaleda seeking steps against jr minister for ‘contemptuous’ comment
- 2 workers die falling off Ctg building
- Stop PM from engaging in unilateral campaign: BNP to EC
- Joypurhat road accident kills two
- Pro-AL panel sweeps DU registered graduate polls
- Bill passed to reduce wastage of water
- Half of unpaid wages of jute workers to be cleared: Minister
- Software to say goodbye to tax hassles
Contempt of court rule against EC
The High Court on Sunday issued a contempt of court rule against the Election Commission for not taking steps as per its earlier order to demarcate Comilla -10 constituency.
A bench of Justice Md Ashfaqul Islam and Justice KM Kamrul Kader asked the secretary of the EC Secretariat to respond to the rule within four weeks.
In 2008, the EC issued a gazette notification demarcating the parliamentary seat incorporating Comilla sadar (south) and Langalkot upazilas.
Later in 2013, Md Andul Gafur Bhuiyan, ex-MP of BNP, filed a writ with the High Court challenging the legality of the gazette stating that the ratio of population, geometric inclusiveness and administrational units were not considered.
On March 20 last, the High Court ordered the EC to take necessary measures in this regard as per the law but EC had failed to take any step.