- Another Rohingya man stabbed dead in Cox’s Bazar
- Why AL ‘fears’ fair polls, wonders BNP
- Khaleda seeking steps against jr minister for ‘contemptuous’ comment
- 2 workers die falling off Ctg building
- Stop PM from engaging in unilateral campaign: BNP to EC
- Joypurhat road accident kills two
- Pro-AL panel sweeps DU registered graduate polls
- Bill passed to reduce wastage of water
- Half of unpaid wages of jute workers to be cleared: Minister
- Software to say goodbye to tax hassles
Most new taxpayers aged below 40, says Muhith
Revealing that most of the country’s new taxpayers belong to the under-40 age group, Finance Minister AMA Muhith on Sunday thanked the youth for helping expedite state’s activities.
“The most pleasing matter is that most of the new taxpayers are aged below 40. That means the country’s young people think they should do something for the state as it is serving them. They’ve come forward to speed up the state’s activities. I thank the youth,” he said.
The minister was speaking at a programme titled ‘Importance of VAT for Implementation of Vision-2021 and Vision-2041’ organised marking the National VAT Day and VAT Week 2017 at NBR Bhaban in the capital’s Agargaon area.
Muhith said the young generation is taking the country forward. “They’re also contributing more to the achievement of ‘Digital Bangladesh’ and leading the IT sector. Country’s future depends on them and its future is bright at their hands.”
Mentioning that there has been a big shift in people’s mindset towards paying tax, he said the number of taxpayers has reached 30 lakh from 14 lakh.
The minister said the government has introduced awards for taxpayers for encouraging more and more people to pay tax which is the fuel of the country’s economy.
A total of 10 institutions at the national level and 140 more at the district level have been awarded as top VAT payers in production, business and service categories for fiscal year 2015-2016.
Industries Minister Amir Hossain Amu and Chairman of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Finance Ministry Dr Md Abdur Razzaque were also present at the programmed chaired by National Board of Revenue Chairman M Nojibur Rahman.