- Another Rohingya man stabbed dead in Cox’s Bazar
- Why AL ‘fears’ fair polls, wonders BNP
- Khaleda seeking steps against jr minister for ‘contemptuous’ comment
- 2 workers die falling off Ctg building
- Stop PM from engaging in unilateral campaign: BNP to EC
- Joypurhat road accident kills two
- Pro-AL panel sweeps DU registered graduate polls
- Bill passed to reduce wastage of water
- Half of unpaid wages of jute workers to be cleared: Minister
- Software to say goodbye to tax hassles
Charges pressed against 228 over Nasirnagar attack
Police here on Sunday submitted a charge-sheet against 228 people in a case filed over the attacks on Hindu community members in Nasirnagar upazila.
Those charge-sheeted accused include suspended chairman of Haripur union parishad Dewan Atiqur Rahman Ankhi, Sadar UP Chairman Abul Hashem, president of Haripur union Awami League Faruk Mia, president of Chapartala union Awami League Suruj Ali, general secretary of the upazila BNP Abdul Hannan, Md Haji Billal Hossain and Md Jahangir Alam.
Md Shawkat Hossain, Inspector (Investigation) of Nasirnagar Police Station and the investigation officer of the case, submitted the charge-sheet to court inspector Mahbubur Rahman, said Abu Zafar, officer-in-charge of the police station.
It will be submitted to the court of Chief Judicial Magistrate on Monday or Tuesday, the OC added.
Nirmal Chowdhury, general secretary of ‘Gouro Mandir’, filed the case accusing 2000-2500 people on October 30, 2016.
On October 30, 2016, an unruly mob equipped with sharp weapons went berserk and demolished a number of Hindu temples and nearly 100 houses in Nasirnagar upazila following a rumour of a Facebook post demeaning the Holy Kaaba. The attackers also beat up over 100 people of the minority community.
Eight cases accusing three thousand people were filed over the attacks.
Some 124 suspects, including prime suspect Dewan Atiqur Rahman Ankhi, have so far been arrested over the attacks.