- ‘Idea of repatriation now is a farce’: Fortify Rights
- BNP seeks constitutional amendment for polls-time govt
- President calls for proper household data collection
- 2 die of cold in Khulna
- Action against PO, ministry staff, if found guilty: Nahid
- Myanmar’s neighbours eager to see progress in Rakhine
- 13,400 mts rice imported from Myanmar in 10 months: Report
- Saber receives Vietnam’s ‘Friendship Order’
- BSTI fines 11 business outlets in city
- Presidential election on Feb 19: Anisul Huq
Wife raises torture allegation against KU teacher
A Khulna University (KU) teacher has been accused of torturing his wife physically and mentally for dowry.
Jannat Ara Ferdous, wife of Md Wahiduzzaman, an assistant professor of the KU Mathematics department, raised the allegation at a press conference at Khulna Press Club on Tuesday noon.
Jannat, also a fourth-year student of Philosophy department of Jessore Govt MM College, said after their marriage on March 27, 2015, she and her husband started living in rented house of Nirala Residential Area of Khulna city.
However, they entered into a marital discord when Wahiduzzaman demanded Tk 10 lakh as dowry from her parents, she claimed. “He used to torture me mentally and physically for dowry,” she said.
Wahiduzzaman also drove her along with her baby boy out of his residence after beating her, Jannat said.
“When I went to his discipline head at the university to complain against him, he (Wahiduzzaman) showed me a fake divorce letter which was proved at the court later,” she said.
Contacted, Wahiduzzaman denied the allegation, saying, “I didn’t torture her, rather she tortured me. I filed a general diary with Khulna Police Station in this regard and divorced her on March 20 last.”