- ‘Idea of repatriation now is a farce’: Fortify Rights
- BNP seeks constitutional amendment for polls-time govt
- President calls for proper household data collection
- 2 die of cold in Khulna
- Action against PO, ministry staff, if found guilty: Nahid
- Myanmar’s neighbours eager to see progress in Rakhine
- 13,400 mts rice imported from Myanmar in 10 months: Report
- Saber receives Vietnam’s ‘Friendship Order’
- BSTI fines 11 business outlets in city
- Presidential election on Feb 19: Anisul Huq
Heavy fog hits ferry services on Paturia-Daulatdia route
Ferry services on the Paturia-Daulatdia route in the Padma River remained suspended since early Friday due to dense fog.
The authorities of Bangladesh Inland Water Transport Corporation (BIWTC) suspended the ferry services and plying of the water vessels on the route from 3:30 amdue to blurred visibility caused by thick fog, said Nasir Uddin Mohammad Chowdhury, assistant general manager of BIWTC at Aricha.
Four ferries remained stuck in the middle of the river while eight others lay anchored at Paturia and two at Daulatdia ghats with a good number of vehicles and passengers on board.
Besides, hundreds of passengers were suffering as more than 300 vehicles, including buses, private cars, micro buses and goods-laden trucks, are waiting on both sides of the river to cross it, said Nasir Uddin.
Ferry services on the busy route will resume once the visibility returns, he added.