- ‘Idea of repatriation now is a farce’: Fortify Rights
- BNP seeks constitutional amendment for polls-time govt
- President calls for proper household data collection
- 2 die of cold in Khulna
- Action against PO, ministry staff, if found guilty: Nahid
- Myanmar’s neighbours eager to see progress in Rakhine
- 13,400 mts rice imported from Myanmar in 10 months: Report
- Saber receives Vietnam’s ‘Friendship Order’
- BSTI fines 11 business outlets in city
- Presidential election on Feb 19: Anisul Huq
Next election as per constitution: PM
Making it clear that the next general election will be held as per the Constitution, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Friday expressed her high optimism that all the parties registered with the Election Commission will take part in the polls for upholding the country’s democratic process.
“As per the Constitution, the 11th parliamentary elections will be held at the end of 2018. How the election will be held is clearly stated in our Constitution. An election-time government will be formed as per the Constitution which will provide all-out cooperation to the Election Commission to conduct the election,” she said.
The Prime Minister said this while addressing the nation marking the completion of her government's four years in office after the January-5, 2014 national election.
The PM's speech was simultaneously broadcast by Bangladesh Television, Bangladesh Betar as well as private TV channels and radio stations in the evening.
Sheikh Hasina in her around 27-minute speech said the President constituted the new Election Commission as per the recommendations of a search committee and the Commission has already gained people’s confidence through conducting some local government elections, including ones to two city corporations, in a fair manner.
“I hope all the parties registered with the Election Commission will participate in the next general election and help uphold the country’s democratic flow,” she said.