- Nat’l election: BNP renews demand for dialogue
- 21 eminent citizens receive Ekushey Padak
- Work to gain people’s confidence, President asks PSC
- Appeal filed with HC against Khaleda’s sentence
- Maintain distinctive characters of Bangla: PM
- PM invites her Dutch counterpart to launch BD Delta Plan
- 50 BNP men hurt in clash with police, 20 held
- 17 killed in garbage dump collapse in Mozambique
- Angry mob killed suspects in murder of girl in India
- RU students demand revision of quota systems in gov’t jobs
Fire kills 11 at home for elderly poor in Japan
Japanese media say 11 people have died in a fire that engulfed a home for elderly welfare recipients in northern Japan.
The fire broke out before midnight Thursday in Sapporo, the main city on the island of Hokkaido. Media reports say that five residents were rescued.
Footage on public broadcaster NHK showed flames and smoke pouring out of the three-story building as firefighters battled the blaze.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
Kyodo News service says the building was a former inn that had been rented by the operator of the facility.