- Nat’l election: BNP renews demand for dialogue
- 21 eminent citizens receive Ekushey Padak
- Work to gain people’s confidence, President asks PSC
- Appeal filed with HC against Khaleda’s sentence
- Maintain distinctive characters of Bangla: PM
- PM invites her Dutch counterpart to launch BD Delta Plan
- 50 BNP men hurt in clash with police, 20 held
- 17 killed in garbage dump collapse in Mozambique
- Angry mob killed suspects in murder of girl in India
- RU students demand revision of quota systems in gov’t jobs
JU senators demand immediate VC panel election
At least 40 senate members of Jahangirnagar University (JU) on Friday demanded immediate election of the vice-chancellor (VC) panel and resolution of various mismanagements on the campus.
Dr. Shariff Enamul Kabir, former vice-chancellor of the university and a professor of Chemistry department, read out the press note at a media conference at Jatiya Press Club in Dhaka.
He said according to section no 11(1) and 11(2) of JU Act 1973, the VC shall be appointed by the Chancellor for a period of four years from a panel of three persons to be nominated by the Senate on such terms and conditions as may be determined by the Chancellor, and shall be eligible for re-appointment for a further period of four years.
For appointing a VC panel of three persons have to get nomination before 45 days of the present VC’s tenure ends, he said.
Present VC Dr. Farjana Islam’s four years tenure will end on March 2, but she has not arranged any panel election yet which is conflicting with the democratic practice of the university, he said.
Dr. Kabir expressed his anxiety that Dr. Islam will not be able to arrange panel election in time.
The press conference was organised under the banner of ‘Alliance of Devotees of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and Liberation War’ Ideology, Teachers and Elected Register Graduate.
The press note which he read out also said that on January 23 at least 39 senators made a bid of 12-point demands included VC panel election, JUCSU election, resolution of ragging, eradicating drug addiction, protecting natural environment of the campus and so on, but the present administration did not even assured them about these.
Dr. Kabir asked the present administration to call a meeting of at least 30 senators soonest in accordance with the Special Section Three of JU Act for nominating VC candidates.