- Nat’l election: BNP renews demand for dialogue
- 21 eminent citizens receive Ekushey Padak
- Work to gain people’s confidence, President asks PSC
- Appeal filed with HC against Khaleda’s sentence
- Maintain distinctive characters of Bangla: PM
- PM invites her Dutch counterpart to launch BD Delta Plan
- 50 BNP men hurt in clash with police, 20 held
- 17 killed in garbage dump collapse in Mozambique
- Angry mob killed suspects in murder of girl in India
- RU students demand revision of quota systems in gov’t jobs
BNP brings out procession in city; Several activists held
BNP leaders and activists brought out a procession from Purana Paltan area in the city on Saturday in protest against the imprisonment of their Chairperson Khaleda Zia in a graft case.
The BNP men brought out the procession from opposite to Kakrail Mosque area around 1:20 pm chanting slogans for the release of their leader.
When they reached Fakirapool water tank area police chased the protesters around 1:30 pm and dispersed them.
They also arrested several leaders and activists from the area.
The BNP men brought out the rally as part of their 2-day protest programme against Khaleda’s conviction.
Earlier on Friday, they staged demonstrations across the country protesting Khaleda Zia’s imprisonment and demanding her release.
On Thursday, a Special Court here convicted former prime minister and BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia and sentenced her to five years’ imprisonment in the much-talked-about Zia Orphanage Trust graft case.