- Nat’l election: BNP renews demand for dialogue
- 21 eminent citizens receive Ekushey Padak
- Work to gain people’s confidence, President asks PSC
- Appeal filed with HC against Khaleda’s sentence
- Maintain distinctive characters of Bangla: PM
- PM invites her Dutch counterpart to launch BD Delta Plan
- 50 BNP men hurt in clash with police, 20 held
- 17 killed in garbage dump collapse in Mozambique
- Angry mob killed suspects in murder of girl in India
- RU students demand revision of quota systems in gov’t jobs
Khaleda gets division, says IG (Prisons)
Inspector General of Prisons Brigadier General Syed Iftekhar Uddin on Sunday said BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia has been provided with division in jail following a court order.
“We gave Begum Khaleda Zia the division soon after the court order reached the jail in the afternoon,” he said.
Earlier in the day, Judge of the Dhaka Special Judge Court-5 Akhtaruzzaman asked the jail authorities to provide the BNP chief, also a former Prime Minister of the country, with the division.
The court order came following a petition filed by Advocate Sanaullah Miah in the morning seeking its directives in this regard.
On Thursday, Khaleda, a 73-year-old former prime minister, was taken to the old central jail after the special court sentenced her to five years’ imprisonment in the Zia Orphanage Trust graft case.
Five other accused in the case, including her son and BNP senior vice-chairman Tarique Rahman, were sentenced to 10 years' imprisonment each.
Accusing the government of keeping its chairperson Khaleda Zia in solitary confinement at the abandoned old Dhaka central jail, BNP on Saturday demanded that she be given division immediately.