- Nat’l election: BNP renews demand for dialogue
- 21 eminent citizens receive Ekushey Padak
- Work to gain people’s confidence, President asks PSC
- Appeal filed with HC against Khaleda’s sentence
- Maintain distinctive characters of Bangla: PM
- PM invites her Dutch counterpart to launch BD Delta Plan
- 50 BNP men hurt in clash with police, 20 held
- 17 killed in garbage dump collapse in Mozambique
- Angry mob killed suspects in murder of girl in India
- RU students demand revision of quota systems in gov’t jobs
Gono Forum avoids opining on Khaleda verdict
Elections are the only constitutional provision to affect real change, but there are many questions arising in the public sphere about how free, fair and neutral they can be, eminent jurist Dr Kamal Hossain, also president of Gono Forum, and Mostafa Mohsin Montu, general secretary of the party, in a joint statement on Sunday.
They said 2018 is an important year for the nation. Whether the 11th parliamentary elections will be held free, fair and neutral in the participation of all political parties, there are many questions in the public.
They also said that on charges of financial irregularities, the court sentenced the BNP chairperson to 5 years in jail. Dr Hossain said, “Though there are mixed reactions in society regarding the verdict, this is not high time to express opinion about it.”
But a positive aspect of this case is the legal process has started against the abusers of state power, he said.
In the same process, the Bangladesh Bank heist, the stock market scandal, the Hallmark scandal, the Basic Bank scandal, the Sonali Bank scandal, the Bismillah Group scandal, and the Farmers Bank scandal will be brought to justice and people expect exemplary punishment for looters and helpers, they added in the statement.
The leaders urged the people to be united to deal with any situation in order to establish a welfare-oriented economy by bringing back the disciplines of state and society.